Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
We know that there is a lot of advice on the Internet, (as well as this blog), on how to care for your kinky, curly, wavy hair. The tips below isn’t new – but it’s worth reinforcing so that caring for our natural hair becomes second nature.
Check out these 6 common sense “quick” natural hair care strategies that will keep your natural hair in tip-top shape:
1. Eat a healthy diet – always: Hair needs foods rich in B vitamins, zinc, protein and calcium for optimal health. Foods such as whole grains, dark, leafy vegetables, nuts, beans, and low fat dairy will keep your naturally curly, kinky hair looking sharp.
2. Wash gently and use styling tools sparingly. Don’t comb and brush your hair while dry. Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair while wet and well conditioned. Improper brushing our ethnic hair can cause breakage.
Some natural hair divas swear by the Denman Brush for bringing out the curl pattern in well conditioned hair. Use it while your hair is drenched with the curl definer creme of your choice. Just use caution and brush gently.
3. Give your hair a rest. Protective styles are a great way to give your hair a breather from daily manipulation and are a great change of pace. Styling your hair in a bun, twists, or braids, (not too tight), are nice options for natural hair.
4. Deep condition regularly. Our natural hair craves moisture. Give your hair what it wants. Once a month, or more frequently if you choose, slather on chemical-free conditioner, put on a plastic cap, and let the conditioner work its magic on those thirsty tresses. Keep the cap on a minimum of 30 minutes – longer if you have the time. In a hurry? Sit under a hooded dryer for 15 minutes. Deep conditioning is one of the best treatments for dry hair and will help maintain proper moisture balance.
5. Wash and condition your hair with sulfate and paraben free hair care products. Products with chemicals can be very drying to our hair and scalp which is a recipe for breakage. Silicone coats the hair and leaves a messy residue, which prevents your conditioner from working its magic.
6. Protect your hair while sleeping. We naturally curly hair ladies know just how hard it is to keep our kinky, curly, wavy hair looking right after a good night’s sleep.
You can use:
Protect your hair while you sleep to keep those curls looking good.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Noire Naturals: A Young Entrepreneur On The Rise
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Nourishing Dry Brittle Hair from Within
- Natural Haircare Experiments on Black People!
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- African Shea Butter from The Tree of Life