GOOD Hair, BAD Hair Day – The In Between Times
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
In the Beginning
When we’re beginning to go natural, it’s so easy to put the blame on our kinky, curly, coily hair as not being good enough. As being hard to manage or just plain false thinking (that was taught to us) that it is unattractive in its God given state, when all we’re having is a bad hair day!
When first going natural, my fellow naturalistas would say “you have to learn to love your hair at every stage”. It was tough to do that when it was chemically relaxed and it’s just as hard, at times, in its natural glory to always embrace the shrunken wash n’ go’s or varying growth stages. Everyone has an ideal image for their hair.
In a perfect world, I say, YES, you should embrace and love your kinks all the time! The reality is, you won’t, necessarily… especially in the beginning. Change is not always easy; no matter what your hair type.
What to do during the in-between times?
Those stages that make you want to just cut it all off or hide it with braid extensions or a straight weave or go back to the creamy crack.
Not that some of these options aren’t viable choices, if you’re really feelin’ it, but, there are other options that you can enjoy rockin’ like, head-wraps, hats, twists and other protective styles, during those in-between-times that help solve the ‘good hair, bad hair day’ moments and will keep you from spending outrageous amounts of money or time at the salon or worse yet, making an extreme hair choice that you might regret.
So braid, twist or grab a cool hat… for now! With a little patience and time, you will come to accept and embrace your natural hair and appreciate its authentic and priceless beauty.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
We want to know what you think. Be sure to leave your comment below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Which Is Best: Slow Transition To Natural, Or The Big Chop?
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Give Your Hair What It Deserves: 5 Natural Hair Care Tips
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Four Misconceptions Black Women Have About Natural Hair
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Readers’ Spotlight: Wen Hair Product Review – Sundra Oakley
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College