Hair Stretching: Adding Length To Natural Hair
Hair stretching is a simple technique that adds length to natural hair through stretching, or non-chemical manipulation.
After shampooing, natural hair can experience varying amounts of shrinkage – a reduction of hair length – once dry. Because natural hair can have a variety of curl patterns, from coils, to spirals and curls, our hair, which may be very long when wet, can shrink as much as 75% when dry as our curls start to tighten.
Depending on individual preference, some women like to stretch their natural hair as a way to manage the length.
Here are a few tips for hair stretching:
1. To keep your hair in top condition, opt for non-chemical stretching techniques instead of chemical texturizing.
2. Braid outs and twist outs are great ways to stretch your hair and add more length. Do a braid out or twist out while wet to get the most definition and a long lasting hold. Your style can last for a week or more depending on your hair using this method.
3. Hair banding is another great way to add length by taking medium to large sections of dry hair and adding ponytail holders to different sections of the hair.
Check out the videos below to learn these hair stretching techniques. There are so many twisting/braiding/banding methods on YouTube, but we think that the videos below are particularly helpful!
Do you have a special way not mentioned here to stretch natural hair? Leave a comment below.
Twist Out Tutorial:
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- The Choice Is Yours
- Four Misconceptions Black Women Have About Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Where Do Braids and Locks Fit On The Natural Hair Spectrum?
- NHCN Podcast 006: Are Brothers Feeling Women With Natural Hair?
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act