Hair Stretching: Adding Length To Natural Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Hair stretching is a simple technique that adds length to natural hair through stretching, or non-chemical manipulation.
After shampooing, natural hair can experience varying amounts of shrinkage – a reduction of hair length – once dry. Because natural hair can have a variety of curl patterns, from coils, to spirals and curls, our hair, which may be very long when wet, can shrink as much as 75% when dry as our curls start to tighten.
Depending on individual preference, some women like to stretch their natural hair as a way to manage the length.
Here are a few tips for hair stretching:
1. To keep your hair in top condition, opt for non-chemical stretching techniques instead of chemical texturizing.
2. Braid outs and twist outs are great ways to stretch your hair and add more length. Do a braid out or twist out while wet to get the most definition and a long lasting hold. Your style can last for a week or more depending on your hair using this method.
3. Hair banding is another great way to add length by taking medium to large sections of dry hair and adding ponytail holders to different sections of the hair.
Check out the videos below to learn these hair stretching techniques. There are so many twisting/braiding/banding methods on YouTube, but we think that the videos below are particularly helpful!
Do you have a special way not mentioned here to stretch natural hair? Leave a comment below.
Twist Out Tutorial:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- Natural Hair Breakage? Here Are 4 Reasons Why Your Hair Is Breaking
- Do You Have What It Takes To Go Natural?
- The Top Ten Super Foods for Healthy Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Care 101: What is Co-Washing?
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Give Your Hair What It Deserves: 5 Natural Hair Care Tips
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Black Hair Care: Tips for Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair
- Why I’m Not Obsessed With My Natural Hair Length
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question