Natural Hair Curl Pattern Envy – Loving The Hair You Have
When I was a little girl, I envied one of my classmates’ lunches. He always packed the most delicious looking tuna sandwiches!
You see, tuna sandwiches were my favorite lunch at that time. And my sandwich always tasted so good! But, my classmate Jacques’ tuna fish sandwiches – also his favorite – always looked like tuna sandwich perfection!
The bread was always thick and soft looking; almost as if it were homemade. The tuna was spread on thick and plentiful. His mom probably used the solid white tuna; not the chunk light tuna that was in my sandwich.
I’m not sure, but I’m guessing that Jacques’ sandwich was made with real mayonnaise – Hellman’s no doubt! Mine were made with Miracle Whip, a family favorite. And his sandwiches never looked smashed. My sandwiches were almost always smashed by my big orange or apple. It looked like an oil soaked pancake.
Don’t get me wrong. I loved my tuna fish sandwiches! I asked my mother to make it for me almost every day during that period. But no matter how delicious my own sandwich was, Jacques’ sandwiches always looked more scrumptious, so I thought that his sandwiches had to taste better.
What does tuna sandwiches have to do with curl pattern envy? Well, the grass always looks a whole lot greener on the other side of the fence.
Whether we are comparing our lifestyle to our neighbors, our jobs to that of our colleagues, or our tuna fish sandwiches to someone else’s lunch, in comparison, we oftentimes don’t fully appreciate the kinks and curls that we have; even though we truly love our hair.
Whether your natural hair is the epitome of 4c kinky curly, or 3a and loosely curled, we need to step back, look at our hair with a new appreciation, and embrace the true god given beauty of our crowning glory.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The Importance Of Curl Typing And How To Make It Work For You
- Walking the Talk: The Day I Finally Convinced My Daughter to Stop Texturizing Her Hair
- Division in the Natural Hair Community – The Curl Pattern Divide
- My Deep Conditioning Experience: Simply Organics Coconut & Jamaican Black Castor Oil Product Review – Pictures
- We’re Here for the #BlackHairChallenge
- Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
- It’s Not Too Late To Protect Your Hair Against The Summer Rays and Dreaded Humidity
- To Trim Or Not To Trim? 4 Reasons NOT to Trim Natural Hair
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College