Natural Hair Curl Pattern Envy – Loving The Hair You Have
When I was a little girl, I envied one of my classmates’ lunches. He always packed the most delicious looking tuna sandwiches!
You see, tuna sandwiches were my favorite lunch at that time. And my sandwich always tasted so good! But, my classmate Jacques’ tuna fish sandwiches – also his favorite – always looked like tuna sandwich perfection!
The bread was always thick and soft looking; almost as if it were homemade. The tuna was spread on thick and plentiful. His mom probably used the solid white tuna; not the chunk light tuna that was in my sandwich.
I’m not sure, but I’m guessing that Jacques’ sandwich was made with real mayonnaise – Hellman’s no doubt! Mine were made with Miracle Whip, a family favorite. And his sandwiches never looked smashed. My sandwiches were almost always smashed by my big orange or apple. It looked like an oil soaked pancake.
Don’t get me wrong. I loved my tuna fish sandwiches! I asked my mother to make it for me almost every day during that period. But no matter how delicious my own sandwich was, Jacques’ sandwiches always looked more scrumptious, so I thought that his sandwiches had to taste better.
What does tuna sandwiches have to do with curl pattern envy? Well, the grass always looks a whole lot greener on the other side of the fence.
Whether we are comparing our lifestyle to our neighbors, our jobs to that of our colleagues, or our tuna fish sandwiches to someone else’s lunch, in comparison, we oftentimes don’t fully appreciate the kinks and curls that we have; even though we truly love our hair.
Whether your natural hair is the epitome of 4c kinky curly, or 3a and loosely curled, we need to step back, look at our hair with a new appreciation, and embrace the true god given beauty of our crowning glory.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The Importance Of Curl Typing And How To Make It Work For You
- Walking the Talk: The Day I Finally Convinced My Daughter to Stop Texturizing Her Hair
- Division in the Natural Hair Community – The Curl Pattern Divide
- Losing Your Natural Hair? The Remedy Might Be In Your Kitchen!
- Five year old Maleigha’s Natural Hair Salon Adventure
- How Toxic Is Black Hair Care- A Wake Up Call
- Do You Have Natural Hair Depression?
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- The Benefits of Natural Hair
- The Politics of Hair: Choosing Between Straight or Natural Hair on the Job [Video]
- Growth Tracking the Natural Hair Industry Over the Last Five Years
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is