Nutrition Spotlight: The Benefits of Kelp on Hair
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
According to some, kelp and seaweed are making a splash in the hair care world.
Kelp is a seaweed. Seaweed being the most common name for most marine algae, with the three main groups of seaweed being; brown, red and green algae.
I don’t know about you, but the only time I come close to eating seaweed is at an Asian restaurant. Think miso soup, sushi or the more obvious seaweed salad which I love.
A fun fact, I learned in the process of this research, that most of us have seaweed in our cupboard and don’t even know it. Look at everything from toothpaste to salad dressings and you’ll find terms like:
all names for algae products you might find in foods and other products in your household.
According to HerbWisdom.com, Kelp has been used for decades for strengthening nails and supporting thicker, longer hair growth. With my ‘fine’ hair, the operative is on ‘thicker’!
Considered a superfood, kelp is high in iodine and is a tremendous source of iron, calcium, phosphorus and sodium and is chock full of a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that help stimulate hair growth and is highly beneficial for other organs in the body as well.
Read this in depth article at “The Science of Eating” to find out more on the benefits, sources, as well as the pros and cons of Kelp.
*As with any new supplement or dietary change, always consult your physician.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Nourishing Dry Brittle Hair from Within
- The Top Ten Super Foods for Healthy Natural Hair
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Nourishing Your Natural Hair From Within
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Signs Your Hair Needs a Protein Treatment
- Why Is My Hair Not Growing? Reasons Why Your Hair Is Stubbornly Short
- 5 Tried And Tested Ways To Stop Hair Breakage
- Scalp Care Don’t Care? Take Heed From These Naturalistas!
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace