Nutrition Spotlight: The Benefits of Kelp on Hair
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
According to some, kelp and seaweed are making a splash in the hair care world.
Kelp is a seaweed. Seaweed being the most common name for most marine algae, with the three main groups of seaweed being; brown, red and green algae.
I don’t know about you, but the only time I come close to eating seaweed is at an Asian restaurant. Think miso soup, sushi or the more obvious seaweed salad which I love.
A fun fact, I learned in the process of this research, that most of us have seaweed in our cupboard and don’t even know it. Look at everything from toothpaste to salad dressings and you’ll find terms like:
all names for algae products you might find in foods and other products in your household.
According to HerbWisdom.com, Kelp has been used for decades for strengthening nails and supporting thicker, longer hair growth. With my ‘fine’ hair, the operative is on ‘thicker’!
Considered a superfood, kelp is high in iodine and is a tremendous source of iron, calcium, phosphorus and sodium and is chock full of a wide variety of vitamins and minerals that help stimulate hair growth and is highly beneficial for other organs in the body as well.
Read this in depth article at “The Science of Eating” to find out more on the benefits, sources, as well as the pros and cons of Kelp.
*As with any new supplement or dietary change, always consult your physician.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Nourishing Dry Brittle Hair from Within
- The Top Ten Super Foods for Healthy Natural Hair
- Nourishing Your Natural Hair From Within
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Signs Your Hair Needs a Protein Treatment
- Scalp Care Don’t Care? Take Heed From These Naturalistas!
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- African Shea Butter from The Tree of Life
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place