Natural Haircare News Podcast Mentioned on CNN Radio
We’re sharing some good news today! The Natural Haircare News Podcast was mentioned on CNN Radio.
Pamela and I are excited that our blog is starting to get the attention of naturalistas and the media alike. Quite frankly, we’re just as thrilled to be mentioned in any article that mentions someone that we greatly respect and admire – Michelle Obama, who was mentioned in the article for how she was rocking those bangs at the Inauguration!
You can read the article “CNN Radio, Sunday Playlist, By a Hair” here, or read the ‘re-blogged’ version below.
Thanks to everyone for your continued support.
~Dianne and Pamela
By Pat St. Claire, CNN
(CNN) – Welcome to the CNN Radio Soundwaves Sunday Playlist, our roundup of audio from around the Web we find interesting, informative or just plain fun.
This past week, first lady Michelle Obama made a huge splash among fashion-watchers when she appeared with a brand new hairdo sporting bangs. In fact, if you do a Google search for Michelle Obama’s bangs you’ll get about 50,000,000 (yes million) results!
Melinda Henneberger of the Washington Post’s She The People column on politics and culture even blogged about the first lady’s bangs and invited other prominent columnist to comment, including award-winning journalist, Mary C. Curtis. While Curtis finds the whole discussion over Mrs. Obama’s new ‘do “silly”, she does make a point that rings with truth: if she ever decides to rock an Afro or a natural look, prepare for war.
Natural hair can bring out the best and the worst in black women and their critics. It’s a tortured, love-hate relationship fraught with psychological, cultural and even political implications dating back centuries.
- Deborah Cooper aka Ms. HeartBeat, a social researcher, dating expert, and host of The Date Smarter, Not Harder Relationships Talk Show, explores the question: How does a woman changing her hair to natural change her interaction with men, in her podcast, Weaves, Relaxers or Natural – Black Women and Their Hair.
Black hair care in the U.S. is a $10 billion industry and growing. An August 2012 article by Dahleen Glanton in the Chicago Tribune, entitled, Our hair-brained obsession explains:
In some ways, we are helpless in our obsession. Black hair became controversial as soon as our ancestors landed in America. Since then, we’ve been bombarded with images of the European standard of beauty — an image that was exactly the opposite of what our people viewed as beauty in Africa. Even in Africa these days, it’s easier to find women with weaves and perms than natural hair.
- But, the natural hair movement is steadily gaining momentum. Blog Talk Radio has a host of podcasts on natural hair that promise to take you on a journey though the land of natural hair, hosted by Lisa Akbari.
- Natural Hair Care News offers a series of podcasts with advice about natural hair care, and strategies on all manner of hair-related issues including perceptions and attitudes about natural hair. Hosted by two natural ladies, Pamela and Dianne, their first podcast explains exactly why they started Natural Hair Care News.
And, finally, we’ll leave you with some words of wisdom from Grammy-award winning singer India Arie, who sings the song, I Am Not My Hair, in an effort to debunk some of the stereotypes about black women and their hair.
That’s it for this week.
– The CNN Radio Team
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- New England Patriots and MGH Cancer Center Give a Shout Out to Coils to Locs on The Sports Hub, 98.5
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026
- NHCN Podcast #0023: Nubia’s Guide to Going Natural: A Conversation with Orjanette Bryant
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- NHCN Alert: Natural Hair Product Giveaways & “Naturals Over 40” Survey
- NHCN Podcast 003: How Friends & Family React to Our Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Care News: Everything You Need To Know About Natural Hair Care Tips and Trends
- Guest Post: Five Reasons Why YouTube Is Dangerous For Your Natural Afro Hair
- Black Hair Education: The Key To Ending Discrimination?
- The Real Deal: 4 Critical Features to Look For in a Natural Hair Salon
- Acting Naturally: A Personal Journey
- So Why Does Airport Security Need to Search My Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College