Is Natural Hair Still An Issue In The Workplace?
Maybe you’ve heard of the controversy which began a few short months ago that’s been swirling around Rhonda Lee, former meteorologist and news anchor for KTBS in Louisiana.
The buzz on the web is that Ms. Lee was fired because she wore her hair natural.
It’s likely that her problems with the station stemmed from Ms. Lee’s professional, yet direct response to comments made by viewers via social media about her appearance and a specific news report that she anchored.
You be the judge. Was it her natural hair, or her comments that may have led to her termination? Read the article and leave a comment.
By Jason Johnson
The most honest man in America is a man who knows he’s about to lose his job. When you know your days are numbered at a job, you stop caring, you stop pretending because fairly or not you know the next paycheck is your last:
“I’m just a waiter, I’d never actually eat here if I had the money so NO, don’t order the chicken.”
“The truth is, we’ll be dropping prices tomorrow so just buy your clothes then.”
“Yes, Mr. Anderson told me to tell you he’s at lunch but he’s actually sitting in his office looking at porn.”
All of the above and more are statements that prove you’re dealing with someone who is about to lose their job and knows it. So it should come as no surprise that Rhonda Lee, a meteorologist at Louisiana local affiliate KTBS was fired, and it certainly should not come as a surprise that she is speaking out so loudly on the issue.
While many headlines are suggesting that Rhonda Lee, a black female weather reporter in Shreveport Louisiana was fired because of her natural hair choice that is not the real story. According to her initial reports in Journalisms, Lee was minding her own business working as an anchor at the station when on two separate occasions racially tinged insults and critiques were directed at her via social networking sites run by the station. According to Lee :
On Oct. 1, a viewer identified as Emmitt Vascocu wrote, (on the station facebook page)
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair in the Workplace – Why You Still Can’t Wear It
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 004: Natural Hair in the Workplace
- Hair Is Too Nappy For The Workplace?
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- How Does my Natural Hair Affect my Life in the Professional World?
- The Politics of Hair: Choosing Between Straight or Natural Hair on the Job [Video]
- Politicians Who Rock Their Natural Hair
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place