Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
As a person challenged with hairline alopecia due to scarring from harsh styling, see Alopecia and Me, the topic always peaks my interest.
This touching video from Shamika (sp) on her personal experience with alopecia and how it brought her to being grateful and appreciative of what God naturally gave her moved me – I could feel her pain as she talked about it.
It also gave me a fresh perspective on my own alopecia issue and made me realize, in comparison, my loss really isn’t that bad.
You see, although Shamika discovered the beauty of her natural hair through this process and was grateful at how the thickness of it covered her baldness, her alopecia, due to scarring, is spreading.
With the major loss at the crown of her head she often opts to cover it with lace front wigs.
What also intrigued me is how she’s using her personal challenge to educate and support other women through her informative videos and her business, educating and selling lace front wigs, to women in similar situations. As Shamika also explains, lace fronts are a great protective styling method, for all women.
Are you or a loved one experiencing hair loss? Share your “losses and gains” with Natural Haircare News and keep the education going.
Check out Shamika’s story in the following video:
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Hair Edges: Why You Are Losing It & How You Can Restore It
- Natural Hair Care News: Everything You Need To Know About Natural Hair Care Tips and Trends
- 3 Hair Loss Problems Caused By Natural Hair Care Practices
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Which Is Best: Slow Transition To Natural, Or The Big Chop?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective