Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
The Lorain Horizon Science Academy in Ohio sent a letter to parents banning Afro Puffs and Braids for the 2013-2014 school year?
If this is true, and it appears to be, did the school administration have nothing better to do (when there’s so many other issues regarding our children’s education needing attention) then concern themselves with how young black girls wear their hair in its natural state?
That’s like saying to the parents of natural red-heads, no more red hair next school year!
What’s interesting and always frustrating, to me, is that it speaks to a deeper issue of ignorance.
Many ethnic groups, including our own, consciously or not, feel that a black person, in this case a black child, wearing their hair the way it organically grows out of their head, is making some radical statement or going against the grain in some way.
A huge reminder that we must continue to love and honor our natural selves in all our kinky glory (if that’s your choice) until it becomes the norm. Only then will others respect and honor that in us as well.
Check out the full story at Black Girl Long Hair.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Giving Our Black Babies A “Head” Start
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Meet Anya: A Little Naturalista Who Loves Her Hair (Pictures)
- Teaching Our Children to Love Their Hair
- Mother Teaches Her Daughter To Be Wary of “Artificial” Beauty -Video
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College