Afros: A Natural Hair Exhibit
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
A whole exhibit celebrating the Afro hair style? Yes, but you’ve got to get to Fort Wayne, Indiana to see it, at least for now.
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art exhibit sheds a spotlight on the beauty and uniqueness of our natural hair – in particular, the afro.
According to Michael July, the photographer behind this fun and flattering display of kinks and coils, he got the idea after attending an Afro Punk party in 2006.
“I noticed the most attractive young couple with large, perfectly rounded Afros. I wanted to shoot them so badly but was a bit hesitant because they were in such a playful zone that I was afraid I would interrupt it. Then out of nowhere they both looked at me and simultaneously asked “Aren’t you going to shoot us?”
It was then, he says, the idea for a coffee table book honoring Afro hair was born. His ongoing journey, with this labor of love, has resulted in the current exhibition.
Catch the “Celebration” if you can!
The exhibit opened April 27, 2013, in Fort Wayne, Indiana and continues until August 18th.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- The Choice Is Yours
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- From Natural to Straight to Natural Again: The History of African American Hair
- The Power of the Afro Flower
- Guest Post: Afro Love
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands
- An Historical Perspective on Black Hair In America
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- Embracing Our Own Standard Of Beauty
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question