Afros: A Natural Hair Exhibit
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
A whole exhibit celebrating the Afro hair style? Yes, but you’ve got to get to Fort Wayne, Indiana to see it, at least for now.
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art exhibit sheds a spotlight on the beauty and uniqueness of our natural hair – in particular, the afro.
According to Michael July, the photographer behind this fun and flattering display of kinks and coils, he got the idea after attending an Afro Punk party in 2006.
“I noticed the most attractive young couple with large, perfectly rounded Afros. I wanted to shoot them so badly but was a bit hesitant because they were in such a playful zone that I was afraid I would interrupt it. Then out of nowhere they both looked at me and simultaneously asked “Aren’t you going to shoot us?”
It was then, he says, the idea for a coffee table book honoring Afro hair was born. His ongoing journey, with this labor of love, has resulted in the current exhibition.
Catch the “Celebration” if you can!
The exhibit opened April 27, 2013, in Fort Wayne, Indiana and continues until August 18th.
Afros: A Celebration of Natural Hair by Michael July
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- The Choice Is Yours
- Guest Post: Afro Love
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- An Historical Perspective on Black Hair In America
- NHCN Podcast 0019: The Lucrative Hair Weave Market
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Black Hair Education: The Key To Ending Discrimination?
- Beyoncé Shows Off Her Natural Hair – Weave
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?