A Homemade Shampoo Recipe for Natural Hair
From the pages of Wellness Mama, here’s a wonderful homemade shampoo recipe that I’ve heard works great on natural hair. This is not a “no-poo” recipe, (one of the ingredients is Castile soap), but for those who alternate between co-washing and a sulfate free shampoo, or who just prefer shampoo, it sounds like a hair loving scalp stimulating shampoo recipe that you may want to test. Leave a comment below if you try the recipe and let us know what you think.
Natural Homemade Shampoo Recipe:
- 1/4 cup coconut milk , (organic and BPA free)
- 1/3 cup Liquid Castile Soap (like Dr. Bronners)
- 1/2 of a teaspoon (or several capsules) of Vitamin E oil (completely optional)
- 20 drops of Essential Oils of choice (I’ve used peppermint, lavender, rosemary and orange or combinations of those)
- For dry hair: add 1/2 tsp olive or almond oil (optional)
How to Make Natural Shampoo:
- Combine all ingredients in an old shampoo bottle or jar of some kind (pump soap dispensers and even foaming dispensers work well for this. If you use a foaming dispenser, add 1/4 cup of distilled water)
- Shake well to mix.
- Keep in shower for up to a month.
- Shake before each use.
- Use about a teaspoon every time you shampoo.
- If you use a foaming dispenser, it also makes a great shaving cream- just dilute with 1/4 cup distilled water!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- “Sage” Wisdom for Coloring Your Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 007: Homemade Natural Hair Products Versus Store Bought Products
- The Growing Popularity of Homemade Natural Haircare Products
- My Thoughts: Curls Gone Wild Natural Hair Event in Boston
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?
- How Embracing Natural Hair Boosts Self-Love and Confidence
- The Quest for the Perfect Curl?
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- Poll: Do You Believe That The Chemicals in Relaxers Cause Health Issues? Is It Why You Went Natural?
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative