Are You Too Concerned With Curl Definition?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
This is a touchy topic written by a natural hair blogger on behalf of Natural Haircare News. We want to know if you agree with this viewpoint, so leave your comments and join the conversation.
Once you decide to return to your natural texture, your hair may surprise you. Many women who have worn relaxed or straightened hair since childhood are no longer familiar with how their hair grows from their heads. In some cases, they instantly love their natural locks, but in others, they become so focused on perfectly defined curls that they’re just not happy.
If you spend a lot of time and money looking for the one product that gives you frizz-free, loose ringlets that are less Afro and more spiral, curl definition may be too much of a priority for you. This is especially true if you fall into the product junkie trap, where a pile of discarded products sits in your bathroom because they didn’t give you the curly hair you admire on this or that celebrity, but can’t seem to achieve yourself.
Because black hair is so varied in texture, you can’t expect to get the same results as the next woman. It’s important to learn to accept your tresses exactly as they are; otherwise, you’ll spend so much time fighting against them and being unhappy when they don’t bend to your will. Instead of the hair being the problem, it’s often an issue with mindset.
Coating your hair with gels, pomades or custards for the sole reason of making it look like a looser, “better” version of what you were born with robs you of falling in love with completely unaltered locks. Instead of focusing all your energies on making your hair appear one way, try to appreciate the good that already exists, without products and manipulation. Maybe your hair will never look like that famous celebrity with the long spirals that appear effortless, but it has its own unique qualities that only belong to you. Learn to love your hair as is, and you won’t need to search for that perfect product, because you’ll know your hair is perfect just the way it is.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- 4 Topics That Unnerve and Divide The Natural Hair Community
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- NHCN Podcast 0015: Loving Our Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- Video: Tracee Ellis Ross Shares How She Has Learned To Love The Natural Hair She Used To Hate
- The Special Challenges of Type 4 Natural Hair – Turn a Challenge Into An Opportunity For Beautiful Hair
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- The Quest for the Perfect Curl?
- The Top Concerns of Women with Natural Hair – Felicia Leatherwood, Celebrity Stylist
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- Natural Hair in the Workplace – Why You Still Can’t Wear It
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question