You Want To Touch My Hair?
The first time a stranger asks “Can I touch your hair?”, you may wonder how to answer that. After all, it’s not surprising to find it an odd question. Someone who you don’t know, have probably never seen before and may not ever see again, wants to touch your hair. What gives?
Women who sport their natural hair will likely be approached in that fashion at some point. The answer you give depends on how genuine you feel the person asking is, how well you know them, your own personal space boundaries or just how you feel at that particular moment. While it’s fine to be pleasant and give the person permission to touch your tresses, there’s no rule that says you have to. Some people, especially those from cultures that only see straight hair, are sincerely curious. Others, however, make you feel like the current craze at a petting zoo. It’s often an on-the-spot decision a natural is forced to make.
Only you can decide if you want people — strangers or acquaintances — putting their hands in your hair. Some women have no problem letting kids touch their mane since children are usually innocently curious, but draw the line with anyone over the age of 18. Other naturals don’t mind if friends and family touch their locks, but strangers are out of the question. Still others don’t want any strange hands in their hair, and that’s acceptable, too. It’s your hair and body, and only you have the right to it.
The next time someone asks “Can I touch your hair?”, think for a moment before answering, whether positively or not. Just because you let someone satisfy their curiosity today doesn’t mean you have to extend the same favor tomorrow. It’s entirely up to you to let other people discover the unique softness and texture of your hair.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Shedding: “I Am Not My Hair”
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Live Beauty Expert Debacle Highlights the Importance of Understanding the Nuances of Natural Hair
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- Having Locs May Mean Unemployment: Should You Choose Your Hair or Your Job?
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- Don’t Believe The Hype: 6 Untruths About Natural Hair
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place