Share this article!Share on Facebook21Google+3Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest1Share on StumbleUpon1Share on Reddit2Share on LinkedIn0share on TumblrDigg this

scab hair pictures natural hair

I started my natural hair journey in January of 2012 and did my big chop in November of 2012.  I’m 1 year, 9 months into my natural hair journey.

One thing that I’ve noticed after cutting off the relaxer is that when I twist my hair, there are quite a few straight, wiry hairs that just don’t stay in my twisted sections no matter how much I deep condition, moisturize, smooth and seal my hair.  I also have sections of hair where the ends are extremely dry, wiry, and rough feeling, no matter what I do to keep the ends moisturized.  These sections of hair tend to always look frizzy when I style my hair.  I use steam to deep condition with nourishing ingredients like coconut milk, yogurt, and a variety of oils such as coconut, castor, and wheat germ oil.  I opt for air drying, but no matter what I do, I can’t get rid of the frizz in certain sections of my hair.  Frustrated, I started researching on the Internet to see if there was a solution to my problem.  That’s how I learned about scab hair.

What is scab hair?

Scab hair is the natural hair, (new growth) that is damaged from previous use of chemical relaxers or other scalp damage.  Based on the changes to our scalp and hair follicles from the regular use of relaxer chemicals, the hair that grows post relaxers is malformed or damaged so it grows out wiry and dry.  It can take a while for hair that is not damaged to grow from the scalp after years of relaxing or other scalp damage. Estimates are anywhere from a few months to a few years before one’s new growth returns to normal.

I have no idea if scab hair is the fate that all newly natural women must face, but it’s been my reality.

My hair has grown about 8 inches when stretched since my big chop, but about a third of my hair looks like scab hair although it’s hard for anyone to tell when I wear my hair out.  I think that this has a lot to do with the fact that I deep condition on a regular basis.

Here’s a picture of my hair after a twist out. You can’t see that there is anything unusual about the condition of my hair:

NHCN_DA_2nd Henna_CocoOil

Now here is a close up of my hair just before I took out the twists:

scab hair picture natural hair

Here’s another twist that is in better condition, but still “scabby” looking close up:

scab hair picture natural hair

I find with the sections of hair that are more affected by scab hair, my twists don’t stay in and the twisted hair almost looks matted even though it’s not.  I used a heavy curl defining creme in the photo of me above so the twist out still looks pretty good, but I do have some un-tameable  fly-a-ways and some frizzy ends after the twist out which aren’t evident in the picture but that are noticeable close up.  I deep conditioned my hair with coconut oil and wheat germ oil which I think helps to control the scab hair and helps it to look less damaged than it really is.

My solution?  I’ll keep deep conditioning, eliminate heat, and make sure that I nourish my hair both inside and out.  I’m also gradually cutting off the ends because I don’t want to do another big chop. I’ve also been experimenting with henna which is supposed to help strengthen hair.  More to come on my henna results.

Do you have experiences with scab hair? What do you do to keep damaged hair moisturized?

Author: Dianne

Comment on this articleChanging attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.

11 Responses to How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures

1. Tina says:

I do believe that I am experiencing this as well. I’m only 7 months into my transition, but I have noticed a few things. For one, most of my hair is growing in really soft and wavy except for the crown area, the sides, and a small portion on the back left side. The normal areas seem to be either fine to medium hair thickness, but the problem areas are hard, coarse, and stiff. Sometimes water doesn’t even affect these areas. I can moisturize them and then an hr later they are hard again. The sides are starting to get better, and the back area also…but that crown…Wow LOL. I noticed that in the these areas when I relaxed I had problems as well. I had lost a lot of hair on the sides and edges of my hairline. The area here isn’t as coarse, but it’s frizzy with curls starting to grow underneath. It doesn’t stay moisturized. The crown area has always been the most brittle. That area broke off no matter what I did to it! This is the worst part for coarseness and dryness. The back left area is like the sides. It wasn’t as coarse, but it was frizzy with curls growing underneath. Now this area was always hard to grow. It’s like a 1 inch area, but I have struggled for it to grown for a few years. All of these areas were always hard to get straight when I would flat iron them. These areas always burned when I relaxed them also, so I hope I didn’t do too much damage to them. Scab hair is the only possible explanation for this.

• Dianne says:

Hi Tina:

Yes, you very well may be experiencing scab hair. Hopefully over time, you’ll be able to cut off the scab hair as the “new” hair grows out. All the best on your journey. – Dianne

2. Tammy says:

I am going through this right now. The ends of my hair are brittle and dry no matter what I do. My hair is so fuzzy. I am hoping after a couple if months it would change.

• Dianne says:

I’ve learned that it is the result of a damaged scalp and hair folicles. It does take time and moisturizing helps but it won’t totally correct the problem. You’ll have to gradually cut off the damaged hair.

3. Santi says:

I realized I had scab hair 8 months into my transition. The dryness I was experiencing confused me b/c it was only in the back of my head. It was so dry & brittle. Nothing made it retain moisture. I was relieved b/c it was temporary. Once I realized what I had I made changes that helped. I’m now 13 months into my transition. I still have scab hair growing out but in smaller areas & not as brittle, more like fuzz.

There are a few things I do to manage it. I use Aubrey Organics Swimmers shampoo every few washes. I use the Morrocco Method Zen Detox clay every few months. I clarify once a month. I preepoo & detangle w/ oil & massage my scalp before each (co)wash w/ a steamer or heat cap. I do oil rinses also. I deep condition w/ every wash anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours. I don’t follow the Tightly Curly Method but I learned that applying a heavy amount of conditioner (thanks Terri LaFlesh) as my leave in helps to keep my hair hydrated. I apply my flax seed gel & seal w/ a small amount of oil. It didn’t change overnight. My hair felt better immediately after the 1st chelating & the first use of the clay but the strands remained rough & dry. For about 2 months, after the discovery of my scab hair, I moisturized morning & night. I did the baggy method a few nights a week as well. The texture is not the same as the rest of my hair but it does retain moisture now. This regimen sounds like a lot. I look at it as doing all the work before & during the wash as opposed to the amount of time I used when I was relaxed after the wash. There is no time spent on blow drying,diffusing or flat ironing.

I look forward to the day when I can wash & go. I know that I will have to continue treat the back of my head differently than the rest. I’m ok w/ that. Having scab hair was a blessing in disguise. It taught me to listen to my hair. Because of the scab hair i’ll have to transition longer than planned (my choice) &; I’m ok w/ that.

Thank You Natural Haircare News for keeping me motivated in my journey.

4. ebonee says:

I never knew anything about scab hair until today. And this makes so much more since to me since I stopped relaxing. I knew the chemicals are still in your hair even if you stop. I just never thought it depends on your scalp condition. I have scab hair still till this day and mainly in the middle and I remember putting the relaxer on the thickest part of my hair which was the middle. And it stayed their the longest. My middle hair is really no definition and more of a wave then a curl and going up the hair toward the root I notice more of a curl pattern. I already cut most of my post relaxer hair off and I’m in love.

5. mykayla says:

Another can be is, if you use shampoo or whatever so called natural shampoo’s your using can cause that because of the sulfates and the unnatural ingredients that’s in your products. Always read the back of your so called natural or organic prducts because they will trick you into saying its all natural.

6. kimey says:

Pure Aloe Vera gel keeps hair smoothed and moisturized to prevent scab hair. I love to use it! I also like to mix in some castor oil as well.

• Dianne says:

Thanks for the tip Kimey! I don’t think that you can prevent it since it grows out of the scalp already damaged due to chemical use, but it sounds like you’ve used aloe vera gel and castor oil to help smooth and control the frizzy hairs?