Just a Joke? Comedian Sheryl Underwood’s Shocking Comments on “Nasty Afro Hair” [Video]
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of people’s mouths. And when that person has influence across an international platform, well, it’s downright scary.
A few weeks ago on the show, “The Talk“, co-host Sheryl Underwood, in response to a story on Heidi Klum where Heidi describes saving the hair of her biracial children, Sheryl chimed in with the “enlightened” thought, “Why would you want to save afro hair?“
Clearly on a roll, she then felt the need to continue to share with the audience on a show seen all over the world, “You can’t weave Afro hair, you don’t never see us at the hair place going, look here, what I need, I need this curly, nappy, beady hair, that just seems nasty.”
View an excerpt of Sheryl’s comments
Ok. One might draw the conclusion that Ms. Underwood was “just joking”. She is a comedienne after all. But when she responded to co-host Sarah Gilbert’s comment that she also saves her children’s hair. Our “girl” Sheryl continues to put her foot in her mouth by expressing that Sarah’s kids have “…probably have that beautiful, long, silky stuff… that’s not what an afro is.” [Audience and co-hosts laughing in the background]. Really Sheryl?
I reviewed quite a few pictures of Ms. Sheryl for this article which I couldn’t share here because the pictures are copyrighted, (click here for pics. ) Be sure to scroll down to view the pics where she takes off her wig). She wears straight-haired wigs and weaves. There are even a few pictures of her real hair – limp, lifeless and relaxed. Her hairstyle, her choice. But to sit on national television and make derogatory comments about the hair that comes naturally out of our heads is beyond the pale.
Sheryl has since apologized, but the damage is done. Some of Sheryl’s supporters say that this is just a “joke”. There are some things that you just don’t joke about.
Sheryl’s apology- Steve Harvey Morning Show
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
- Why I’m Not Obsessed With My Natural Hair Length
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article
- NHCN Podcast 004: Natural Hair in the Workplace
- Why Natural Hair Should Be Acceptable In Every Setting
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- From Natural to Straight to Natural Again: The History of African American Hair
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- Readers’ Spotlight: Nappy and Natural – Lynnette’s Story
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- Caring for a Child’s Natural Hair – Transracial Parenting Perspective
- Do You Have What It Takes To Go Natural?