Just a Joke? Comedian Sheryl Underwood’s Shocking Comments on “Nasty Afro Hair” [Video]
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of people’s mouths. And when that person has influence across an international platform, well, it’s downright scary.
A few weeks ago on the show, “The Talk“, co-host Sheryl Underwood, in response to a story on Heidi Klum where Heidi describes saving the hair of her biracial children, Sheryl chimed in with the “enlightened” thought, “Why would you want to save afro hair?“
Clearly on a roll, she then felt the need to continue to share with the audience on a show seen all over the world, “You can’t weave Afro hair, you don’t never see us at the hair place going, look here, what I need, I need this curly, nappy, beady hair, that just seems nasty.”
View an excerpt of Sheryl’s comments
Ok. One might draw the conclusion that Ms. Underwood was “just joking”. She is a comedienne after all. But when she responded to co-host Sarah Gilbert’s comment that she also saves her children’s hair. Our “girl” Sheryl continues to put her foot in her mouth by expressing that Sarah’s kids have “…probably have that beautiful, long, silky stuff… that’s not what an afro is.” [Audience and co-hosts laughing in the background]. Really Sheryl?
I reviewed quite a few pictures of Ms. Sheryl for this article which I couldn’t share here because the pictures are copyrighted, (click here for pics. ) Be sure to scroll down to view the pics where she takes off her wig). She wears straight-haired wigs and weaves. There are even a few pictures of her real hair – limp, lifeless and relaxed. Her hairstyle, her choice. But to sit on national television and make derogatory comments about the hair that comes naturally out of our heads is beyond the pale.
Sheryl has since apologized, but the damage is done. Some of Sheryl’s supporters say that this is just a “joke”. There are some things that you just don’t joke about.
Sheryl’s apology- Steve Harvey Morning Show
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- How To Care For Your Natural Hair While Adorning A Protective Style
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Embracing My Natural Crown
- GOOD Hair, BAD Hair Day – The In Between Times
- Natural Hair Wigs and Weaves Are All The Rage In Hollywood
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- Natural Hair: The Best Oils to Stimulate Hair Growth
- Debunking 5 Common Myths About Moisturizing Your Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Tips: Try These Strategies to Get Rid Of Grays Naturally
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here