Just a Joke? Comedian Sheryl Underwood’s Shocking Comments on “Nasty Afro Hair” [Video]
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of people’s mouths. And when that person has influence across an international platform, well, it’s downright scary.
A few weeks ago on the show, “The Talk“, co-host Sheryl Underwood, in response to a story on Heidi Klum where Heidi describes saving the hair of her biracial children, Sheryl chimed in with the “enlightened” thought, “Why would you want to save afro hair?”
Clearly on a roll, she then felt the need to continue to share with the audience on a show seen all over the world, “You can’t weave Afro hair, you don’t never see us at the hair place going, look here, what I need, I need this curly, nappy, beady hair, that just seems nasty.”
View an excerpt of Sheryl’s comments
Ok. One might draw the conclusion that Ms. Underwood was “just joking”. She is a comedienne after all. But when she responded to co-host Sarah Gilbert’s comment that she also saves her children’s hair. Our “girl” Sheryl continues to put her foot in her mouth by expressing that Sarah’s kids have “…probably have that beautiful, long, silky stuff… that’s not what an afro is.” [Audience and co-hosts laughing in the background]. Really Sheryl?
I reviewed quite a few pictures of Ms. Sheryl for this article which I couldn’t share here because the pictures are copyrighted, (click here for pics. ) Be sure to scroll down to view the pics where she takes off her wig). She wears straight-haired wigs and weaves. There are even a few pictures of her real hair – limp, lifeless and relaxed. Her hairstyle, her choice. But to sit on national television and make derogatory comments about the hair that comes naturally out of our heads is beyond the pale.
Sheryl has since apologized, but the damage is done. Some of Sheryl’s supporters say that this is just a “joke”. There are some things that you just don’t joke about.
Sheryl’s apology- Steve Harvey Morning Show
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Senegalese Women’s Group Called “N’happy Galsen Find The Beauty In Their Natural Hair
- Politicians Who Rock Their Natural Hair
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- YouTuber Shares Note of Caution in “Natural Hair Gurus Exposed”
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Beyoncé Backlash: What Does Hating on Blue Ivy’s Hair Say About Us?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question