Oprah and Her Natural Hair: Is She a Role Model?
She’s one of the most powerful women in the world, recognizable on a first name basis: Oprah. She has her own network, magazine and on occasion, hair issues.
When she appeared on the September 2013 O magazine cover with a ‘fro so huge it was hard to believe, tongues started wagging. This isn’t the first time one of the world’s richest women wore a more natural look (whether it’s all hers or not), but any time she does, she’s subject to a type of scrutiny only reserved for the powerful and famous.
Other celebrities who have stirred up controversy and conversation because of their natural hair include:
- Solange Knowles
- Jada Pinkett Smith
- Nikki Minaj
- Viola Davis
The longer the hair, the bigger the conversation. “Is it all hers?” “There’s no way that’s all natural.” “She must be mixed.” These are just a few of the comments you’ll read and hear when discussing a celebrity’s natural look. In most cases, it’s not completely natural, but the fact that a famous face is willing to turn her back, however temporarily, on the straight standard of beauty is always cause for discussion.
Is it fair that famous black women have to take up the mantle for being natural? When President Barack Obama was first elected in 2008, some people speculated that Michelle Obama should wear a more natural style to better relate to African Americans. But is it really her duty to wear the mantle for black women who are natural if she prefers to wear her hair straight?
While it would be wonderful if every black woman in the public eye wore her natural hair, if only to inspire the masses, it’s not the responsibility of Oprah or Solange or Michelle Obama to act as natural ambassadors. Once you understand that many celebrities sport some kind of hair addition, viewing them as role models, even when they’re going for a natural vibe, is less than realistic. Instead, try and appreciate the ones who do love and wear their natural hair while not expecting it of everyone.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Alicia Keys Sports Braids Decorated with Gold Cuffs
- The Politics Of Natural Hair: An Effective Get Out The Vote Video Campaign
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- NHCN Podcast 0012: Why Does Airport Security Need to Search My Hair?
- Pastor Says No To Hair Weaves In His Church
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- Do Hair Relaxers Increase Black Women’s Risk of Developing Fibroids?