Oprah and Her Natural Hair: Is She a Role Model?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
She’s one of the most powerful women in the world, recognizable on a first name basis: Oprah. She has her own network, magazine and on occasion, hair issues.
When she appeared on the September 2013 O magazine cover with a ‘fro so huge it was hard to believe, tongues started wagging. This isn’t the first time one of the world’s richest women wore a more natural look (whether it’s all hers or not), but any time she does, she’s subject to a type of scrutiny only reserved for the powerful and famous.
Other celebrities who have stirred up controversy and conversation because of their natural hair include:
- Solange Knowles
- Jada Pinkett Smith
- Nikki Minaj
- Viola Davis
The longer the hair, the bigger the conversation. “Is it all hers?” “There’s no way that’s all natural.” “She must be mixed.” These are just a few of the comments you’ll read and hear when discussing a celebrity’s natural look. In most cases, it’s not completely natural, but the fact that a famous face is willing to turn her back, however temporarily, on the straight standard of beauty is always cause for discussion.
Is it fair that famous black women have to take up the mantle for being natural? When President Barack Obama was first elected in 2008, some people speculated that Michelle Obama should wear a more natural style to better relate to African Americans. But is it really her duty to wear the mantle for black women who are natural if she prefers to wear her hair straight?
While it would be wonderful if every black woman in the public eye wore her natural hair, if only to inspire the masses, it’s not the responsibility of Oprah or Solange or Michelle Obama to act as natural ambassadors. Once you understand that many celebrities sport some kind of hair addition, viewing them as role models, even when they’re going for a natural vibe, is less than realistic. Instead, try and appreciate the ones who do love and wear their natural hair while not expecting it of everyone.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- NHCN Podcast 0012: Why Does Airport Security Need to Search My Hair?
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- The Politics Of Natural Hair: An Effective Get Out The Vote Video Campaign
- Alicia Keys Sports Braids Decorated with Gold Cuffs
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- NHCN Podcast 0010: Is Natural Hair a Fad or Here To Stay?
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- The Trend Towards Natural Hair Goes A Lot Deeper Than The Need To Be Free From Relaxers
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question