Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
These “hair issues in the workplace” stories are really making my blood boil. Here’s yet another situation where a woman makes a hairstyling choice that allegedly affects her ability to keep her job. Seriously?
In this case, the woman, Farryn Johnson, who was fired by Hooters, chose to add blonde highlights to her hair. According to Farryn, she was told that she had to remove the blonde highlights because “black people don’t have blond in their hair so you need to take it out “.
Farryn’s hair appears to be straightened and I don’t know if this is “natural” for her or not. The real point is that this once again raises the concern that many black women have – the feeling or belief that we need to wear our hair in a way that conforms to what is considered the norm while at work. Farryn’s firing impacts all women who choose to wear their hair in braids, locs, or naturally loose and kinky/curly because of what her firing represents.
Have you been impacted in anyway because of your choice of hairstyle? Share in the comments section below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- Why It’s Legal to Ban Natural Locs at Work
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
- Is the New U.S. Army Regulation 670-1 Unfair to Women with Natural Hair?
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- Natural Hair and Bullying- What’s the Connection?
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- You Don’t Need a License to Style Natural Hair?
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective