Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights
These “hair issues in the workplace” stories are really making my blood boil. Here’s yet another situation where a woman makes a hairstyling choice that allegedly affects her ability to keep her job. Seriously?
In this case, the woman, Farryn Johnson, who was fired by Hooters, chose to add blonde highlights to her hair. According to Farryn, she was told that she had to remove the blonde highlights because “black people don’t have blond in their hair so you need to take it out “.
Farryn’s hair appears to be straightened and I don’t know if this is “natural” for her or not. The real point is that this once again raises the concern that many black women have – the feeling or belief that we need to wear our hair in a way that conforms to what is considered the norm while at work. Farryn’s firing impacts all women who choose to wear their hair in braids, locs, or naturally loose and kinky/curly because of what her firing represents.
Have you been impacted in anyway because of your choice of hairstyle? Share in the comments section below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- NHCN Podcast 0015: Loving Our Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Texas Area Naturals – Check Out the Upcoming Natural Hair Parade and Festival In September
- Natural Hair and Protective Styling’s Effect on the Hair Industry
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- That Itchy Scalp Driving You Crazy? What Causes Itchy Scalp and How To Combat It
- These 3 Hairstyles Can Be Keeping You from Reaching the Length You Want
- Why Kinky, Coily, Afro Hair Is More Than Just In Vogue, – It’s Here To Stay!
- Natural Hair Annual Events
- What’s Cooking In The Lab At The Science Of Black Hair?
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Winners of the $50 Guest Post & $30 Comment/Like Hair Product Giveaways
- Update on the Wichita Natural Hair Meetup- Engaging Young women in Community Service and Self Love
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here