Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
These “hair issues in the workplace” stories are really making my blood boil. Here’s yet another situation where a woman makes a hairstyling choice that allegedly affects her ability to keep her job. Seriously?
In this case, the woman, Farryn Johnson, who was fired by Hooters, chose to add blonde highlights to her hair. According to Farryn, she was told that she had to remove the blonde highlights because “black people don’t have blond in their hair so you need to take it out “.
Farryn’s hair appears to be straightened and I don’t know if this is “natural” for her or not. The real point is that this once again raises the concern that many black women have – the feeling or belief that we need to wear our hair in a way that conforms to what is considered the norm while at work. Farryn’s firing impacts all women who choose to wear their hair in braids, locs, or naturally loose and kinky/curly because of what her firing represents.
Have you been impacted in anyway because of your choice of hairstyle? Share in the comments section below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
- Why It’s Legal to Ban Natural Locs at Work
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- Is the New U.S. Army Regulation 670-1 Unfair to Women with Natural Hair?
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- You Don’t Need a License to Style Natural Hair?
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
- Dr. Yaba Blay Talks Black Hair Politics
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- MSNBC Host Melissa Harris Perry Shares Her Views About Natural Hair for New Book
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question