We love this story which shares the journey of one our naturalistas who describes the moment when she decided to nix relaxers and go natural! Thank you for your article submission!
It was February 8th that I was sitting in the salon chair while I was getting my “touch up”. That’s right – the hair that is naturally growing out of your head is thick and curly and has to GO! You place a cream… a chemical… and it straightens it bone straight, fine, and thin.
“Ouch! It burns…” and I point… “Right there!”… And the stylist takes a can of oil sheen – aerosolized alcohol – and sprays the part that burns… And I sit awaiting anxiously to wash it all out with my head on FIRE!
It was then that I realized… WHY AM I DOING THIS! This is torture… the hair comes out lovely but days later, the hair is stuck to my scalp as my scalp scabs off. This is so unhealthy and I can’t believe I haven’t done anything about it. And that was where my journey began. NO MORE RELAXER. I need to nourish my hair AND my scalp to health!
It has been a trying time – My scalp needed so much TLC. It was really damaged and unhealthy but using natural products – oils, leave-ins, creams – things that I never used before when relaxed… has helped me get rid of the scaling scalp that was trying to regenerate itself as opposed to getting burned off by the chemicals of perm every few months.
Now, at 10 months post-relaxer… I am in LOVE with my new growth and I DESPISE the relaxed ends. Transitioning from relaxed to natural is probably the hardest thing to do as you are growing your hair out until you have enough new growth where you are comfortable with cutting off the relaxed ends. However, it is challenging because you are dealing with two different hair textures and this can be VERY difficult.
After these 10 months, I finally feel like I am getting the hang of it. Especially with social media booming on the topic. But boy.. oh boy… is transitioning an ADVENTURE!
I have grown to love several products. Kinky Curly Knot Today, As I Am Coconut Cowash, Luscious Locks Shea Butter Hair Mask, Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Repair Cream and Coconut Milk Hair Mist, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask and Hold and Shine Mist, and the list goes on. I have become a product junkie but I am allowed to because I am seeking what works for ME and not everyone else. I am amped, excited, and growing impatient for the day where I am FULLY natural!
Thank you Natural Hair Care News for providing this medium to share my story!
AUTHOR: Shari Andrews
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Beauty Salons and The State Of Your Health
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
- What Are The Worst Things You Can Do To Your Natural Hair? Here Are Four You Might Be Guilty Of
- Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Want to go Natural? Don’t Do It If…
- Four Misconceptions Black Women Have About Natural Hair
- Readers’ Spotlight: Terri’s Transition to Natural Hair
- Breaking Free From The Creamy Crack- Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural
- Black Hair Care: Tips for Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- The Top Concerns of Women with Natural Hair – Felicia Leatherwood, Celebrity Stylist