Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
Here’s an intriguing article courtesy of Clutch Magazine Online which highlights the pros and cons of tex-laxing; the process of easing the tightness of one’s natural curl pattern using chemical relaxers.
BTW, for those who are wondering, “tex-laxing” and “texturizers” are one in the same.
We know that the very topic of choosing to add chemicals to our natural hair will start heated conversations about whether or not one is truly natural if the hair is altered with chemicals.
But Natural Haircare News is the war-free zone…
There are as many arguments for and against tex-laxing as there are stars in the sky. One could argue that your hair is no longer natural if you alter it in any way such as using twisting, braiding and other styling techniques that change the way that your hair naturally grows out of your head.
I’m a believer of the old maxim “to each her own” but for the record, your hair is no longer natural if it is chemically altered. That’s just the facts. However, how you choose to wear your hair is your choice. Be confident with your decision and make your choices based on what is best for you.
Have you seen the #TexLax hashtags on Instagram? Heard people talking about it online? Well, the process of tex-laxing has gained popularity recently among women with natural hair who are reverting back to chemicals but want to avoid a straight, relaxed look.
Though it doesn’t process your hair as heavily as a relaxer would, texlaxing still has drawbacks when it comes to your hair’s health. And some naturals criticize it because the hair has a textured, ‘natural’ look but it’s not fully chemical-free.
If you’re considering giving it a try, here are 10 things to know.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Is Your Hair Really Natural If It’s Texturized?
- Are You Too Concerned With Curl Definition?
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- 4 Topics That Unnerve and Divide The Natural Hair Community
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 0015: Loving Our Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- Natural Hair in the Workplace – Why You Still Can’t Wear It
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question