Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
Here’s an intriguing article courtesy of Clutch Magazine Online which highlights the pros and cons of tex-laxing; the process of easing the tightness of one’s natural curl pattern using chemical relaxers.
BTW, for those who are wondering, “tex-laxing” and “texturizers” are one in the same.
We know that the very topic of choosing to add chemicals to our natural hair will start heated conversations about whether or not one is truly natural if the hair is altered with chemicals.
But Natural Haircare News is the war-free zone…
There are as many arguments for and against tex-laxing as there are stars in the sky. One could argue that your hair is no longer natural if you alter it in any way such as using twisting, braiding and other styling techniques that change the way that your hair naturally grows out of your head.
I’m a believer of the old maxim “to each her own” but for the record, your hair is no longer natural if it is chemically altered. That’s just the facts. However, how you choose to wear your hair is your choice. Be confident with your decision and make your choices based on what is best for you.
Considering Tex-Laxing Your Hair? 10 Things That You Need To Know
Have you seen the #TexLax hashtags on Instagram? Heard people talking about it online? Well, the process of tex-laxing has gained popularity recently among women with natural hair who are reverting back to chemicals but want to avoid a straight, relaxed look.
Though it doesn’t process your hair as heavily as a relaxer would, texlaxing still has drawbacks when it comes to your hair’s health. And some naturals criticize it because the hair has a textured, ‘natural’ look but it’s not fully chemical-free.
If you’re considering giving it a try, here are 10 things to know.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.
You May Also Like:
- Is Your Hair Really Natural If It’s Texturized?
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- NHCN Podcast 005: Embracing Our Own Standard of Natural Beauty
- The Growing Popularity of Homemade Natural Haircare Products
- Five Ingredients in Hair Products To Steer Clear Of
- The Top Ten Super Foods for Healthy Natural Hair
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- “Sage” Wisdom for Coloring Your Natural Hair
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Quick and Easy Chunky Twistout- Diaries of a Campus Natural
- Where Do Braids and Locks Fit On The Natural Hair Spectrum?