Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
Yes, this story has a little bit of a different twist. Eight year old Aolani Dunbar of Carroll County Georgia has short hair and she wanted long hair. Her mother helped her achieve her goal by allowing Aolani to get a weave. Aolani, who is biracial and attends a predominately white school wanted to have “long hair” like some of the other girls.
According to reports, Aolani has had a difficult time at school but the intensity of the bullying increased after she wore the weave to school. Aolani experienced excessive teasing and worst yet had her weave continuously pulled and yanked while on the playground to the point where her scalp was literally ripped from her head at the crown. She developed cellulitis and had to have all of her hair shaved off to deter a scalp infection. Her dermatologist shared that her hair may never grow back in the area where her scalp was severely damaged.
Needless to say, Aolani is suffering from emotional damage along with the physical damage of her experience. To add insult to injury, one of the two ringleaders only received an “in school” suspension.
You can watch a news report on the story here:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Natural Hair and Bullying- What’s the Connection?
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective