4 Topics That Unnerve and Divide The Natural Hair Community
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
I decided to do some informal research within the natural hair community in order to get a sense of which topics make the hair on the back of a Naturalistas’ neck stand up.
What are those touchy topics that irk women who choose to wear their hair natural? My informal research consisted of reading natural hair forum chatter and reviewing commentary from women from all over the United States and in some cases the world. I checked out YouTube, natural hair blogs and other forms of social media.
The natural hair topics that generated the most commentary are:
1. Curl Patterns: There seems to be a real curl pattern divide within the natural hair community. No surprise there. Women expressed frustration with the perception that some women may feel that their hair texture is better than hair with a kinkier texture. You know, the whole wavy, curly 3 curl pattern versus the tighter and kinkier 4 curl pattern.
2. Length Obsession: I found that there was some buzz about some women’s infatuation with focusing on hair length and how fast their hair is, or is not growing.
3. Hair Shrinkage: This dove tails with the curl pattern debate. Women are sharing frustration with hair shrinkage; and there are those in the natural hair community who feel that to “hate” shrinkage is to admit to hating our hair texture and how our hair naturally reacts when the humidity is high, or it rains, or… well you get the idea.
4. Texturizing, (texlaxing): Any discussion in the natural hair sphere that focuses on adding chemicals to the hair is taboo in some circles. Women choose to texturize for different reasons. Whether it is to control frizz, make hair “more manageable” or loosening the curl pattern, women opposed to chemicals feel that those who choose to texturize do so because they hate their hair.
We all have a position on natural hair: how we should or should not style it, wear it, wash and dry it. If you’re familiar with our hair philosophy, you know that we feel that Naturalista’s need to make the hair choices that work best for their hair and not be concerned about what other people think when it comes to how they choose to take care of their hair. And trust me, even that position is an unpopular one.
What are your pet peeves?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- The Trend Towards Natural Hair Goes A Lot Deeper Than The Need To Be Free From Relaxers
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- Are You Too Concerned With Curl Definition?
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Yes, I Stretch My Natural Hair – No Biggie…
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- NHCN Podcast 0015: Loving Our Natural Hair Shrinkage
- NHCN Podcast 0017: The Natural Hair and the Latino Perspective With Carolina Contreras of Miss Rizos.com
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question