Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
Maybe it’s my environment. I live in Hollywood and I work in the entertainment industry where image is, in most people’s eyes, everything.
Although the climate with natural hair is slowly changing, on some levels, I can’t help but see the disparity with how I’m viewed (more like not even seen) and sometimes dismissed by some of the black men in my world.
It’s interesting because when asked directly these men tell a different story. When you watch or read the numerous “in the streets” and “we polled black men” interviews on YouTube or on natural hair blogs one often hears how black men don’t have a preference or that they absolutely love women with natural hair and prefer it.
When the roving reporters are gone though their lives tell a different story.
I dare say this disconnect is not just in LA LA Land either but across the good ole US of A and perhaps internationally. That preference for long straight silky hair that has been so embedded in our psyche. That preference that is engrained in both sexes I might add.
So my question to our readership is:
How do we start and continue to engage Black men to really see, from their head and heart, the natural, authentic and raw beauty of Black women, particularly when it comes to our kinky, curly, coily and shrunken Afros? To speak of it with love and affection and honor it?
That our hair as it grows out of our heads is an awesome gift from the Creator – The Power and The Presence of ALL things makes no mistakes!
Part of it I think is for black women to stay the course. To definitely not let “the movement” as some call it, be another fad, as some see it.
The more the world gets used to our exquisite cottony haired image presented in all walks of life and in the media, the more it won’t feel like a novelty. It will just be…. natural.
For those of us who need to, we can continually work on our self-esteem so that when the brothas see you coming they see and feel the energy of a black Queen who is confident, caring, happy and gorgeous.
And whether you are their preference or not, your beauty will still be undeniable – to anyone for that matter.
What are your thoughts and experiences around “Are Black Men Missing From The Natural Hair Conversation”?
What do you think we can do to engage Black men so that they love and accept our natural hair as much as their own?
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Black Hair Education: The Key To Ending Discrimination?
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- Pastor Says No To Hair Weaves In His Church
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question