News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
Our hair is our crowning glory and the fact that we spend a great amount of time and money on our hair is proof of that. Losing our hair, whether through breakage, medication, or even via the big chop can be an emotional experience for many. And for our sisters who lose their hair due to an illness like cancer, the impact to their lives can be so devastating. Such is the experience of Tennessee anchorwoman Pam McKelvy who battled breast cancer since 2012. She lost her hair after going through chemotherapy and had to wear a wig since March of 2013. According to Pam, the pressure of losing her hair was intensified by how important one’s appearance is in the television industry.
After Pam’s hair started growing back a few months after her chemotherapy, she began to think about not only how she was going to wear her hair on air, but about the message she would be sending to young women about confidence and self-acceptance. She decided to go natural and stop using relaxers to straighten her hair.
Her decision was both courageous and inspiring; especially for many young black women. Her message is clear: hair is not everything and inner beauty is more important than external appearance. Once you embrace your natural God-given hair, you will find that you’ll love your hair texture.
In her closing statement, McKelvy, while dabbing tears from her eyes said:
“I want everybody to know that no matter what you go through, it’s not about what’s on the outside, it’s about what’s on the inside. And I feel that on the inside I am more radiant and beautiful than I’ve ever been.”
Watch Pam McKelvy’s big reveal in this inspiring clip from the news segment:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- The Choice Is Yours
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- The Brothas Speak Out On Natural Hair and Beauty
- Acting Naturally: A Personal Journey
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- Embracing My Natural Crown
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- So You Want To Go Natural?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College