Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
Whenever I read a news report about a black woman or child who has been treated differently because of how they chose to wear their hair – au naturel – it makes me wonder: Are we being punished for having natural hair?
Okay, I’ll concede that the word ‘punished’ may come across as a bit dramatic. But take the following into consideration:
- There’s the story of the young girl who was threatened with expulsion if she didn’t cut and shape her “distracting” hair.
- Consider the story about weather forecaster which we featured in the article Is Natural Hair Still An Issue in the Workplace who appears to have been fired after defending her choice to wear her hair natural on a Facebook post after a viewers’ derogatory comments.
- During a symposium held at Georgia State University and attended by 100 black women in 2013 called Black Women, Their Hair & The Work Place – A Dialogue, the topic of not being able to find or hold on to a job due to their natural hair was a recurring theme during the panel discussion.
No young school girl should be discriminated against for wearing her hair natural. No woman should be forced to downplay her looks just so that she can keep her job.
Black people’s hair simply grows differently. It’s laughable that ‘different’ seems to be equated to ‘bad’ or ‘less than’. Why shouldn’t black men and women have the right to wear our hair in public in the way that it grows out of our heads; just like those whose hair happens to be straight?
Until as a society we move away from the distorted view that what is acceptable, professional, and beautiful is a standard of beauty that is euro-centric, our great grand children will be having this unfortunate discussion.
What’s been your experience in with wearing natural hair at work? Leave a comment below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- NHCN Podcast 0012: Why Does Airport Security Need to Search My Hair?
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
- My Natural Hair Journey – Lisa’s Story
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Giving Our Black Babies A “Head” Start
- How Embracing Natural Hair Boosts Self-Love and Confidence
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here