Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair Straight From the Grocery Aisle
Frizz is the natural companion of naturally curly/kinky hair. Some naturals love and embrace the frizz while others loathe it. And when you add humid weather to the mix – forget it.
Luckily for us Naturalistas, there are DIY remedies that take on frizz that are inexpensive and that can be whipped up at home using ingredients that are easily found in your local grocery store.
Use Beer To Banish Frizz
Before you say “Really?,” hear me out.
Beer is actually good for natural hair as it replenishes moisture and provides your natural hair with much needed nutrients that help repair damaged strands. Beer adds shine, body and volume to the hair. So if you want to moisturize and liven up your hair, try rinsing your hair with beer. Dark beers are the best for providing moisture and nutrients.
Coat your hair with the beverage and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing out with cold water which will help to get rid of that ‘beer’ smell.
Go Old School: Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Apple cider vinegar is another great home remedy for frizz, plus, it adds shine to your coils. Apple cider vinegar smooths the cuticle of your hair which is critical for reducing frizz. Just wash your hair as normal and then use equal parts water and ACV for the final rinse. Condition and style as usual.
Carbonated water – Use Fizz to Eliminate Frizz
Frizz caused by humid weather is best remedied by a carbonated water rinse. The low pH level in carbonated or sparkling water keeps frizz at bay. Give your hair a final rinse with carbonated water after washing and condition as usual.
Tried and True: Coconut, Olive, or Castor Oil
Oils seal in moisture making oil the best anti-frizz solution. Coconut, olive, and castor oils are particularly effective because they are moisturizing, all natural, inexpensive, and are easily found in most grocery stores.
When using oil to get rid of frizz, gently heat 1 cup of an oil of your choice, then apply the heated oil evenly throughout your hair. Be sure to test the oil to make sure that you don’t burn your scalp when applying. Cover your curls with a shower cap then wrap a hot towel around your head for 30 minutes.
It is important to keep the towel warm so reheat it when it cools down. Shampoo and rinse with cold water, then condition as usual. Do this 2-3 times a week for the best anti-frizz results. You can also sit under a hair dryer using medium heat and reduce conditioning time to 15 minutes.
Condition with Mayonnaise and Avocado
Whip up your own homemade conditioner to tame those ends and get rid of frizz with two basic but hair loving ingredients: avocado and mayonnaise. You will need half of an avocado and 1 cup of mayonnaise. Mix these two ingredients together to make a paste.
Rub the paste onto your hair evenly and cover with a shower cap. Wrap a hot towel around your head or sit under a dryer, (medium heat) and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash and rinse with cold water then condition and style. For best results, do this once a week.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Seriously…We Are Still Hating On Gabby Douglas’ Hair in 2016?
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
- Does Having Natural Hair Make it Easier To Participate In Activities That You Avoided When Your Hair Was Straight? [Poll]
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here