Why Using Flat Irons on Natural Hair Will Cause Irreversible Damage
Even the most diehard naturalista wants to change her look now and again. For some naturals, changing our look means applying heating tools to temporarily straighten our natural hair.
The problem is, many of us are under the mistaken impression that because we are not applying chemicals, and are using heat styling products only occasionally, that there isn’t any real damage that can be done. Nothing can be further from the truth.
Too high of a heat setting or regular straightening with blow dryers, curling irons and the like can damage your curl pattern. Damaged hair is easy to identify: It will no longer curl or coil and it will look dull, dry and frizzy no matter what types of products you apply to your hair.
Once this type of damage occurs, your only option is to start over by cutting off the heat-damaged hair.
An article in the Huffington Post highlights five ways that your flat iron can be harming your natural hair:
1. Hair is like skin, it can get burned – only you cannot feel it.
2. Whenever you use heat styling tools, your hair is depleted of its natural moisture
3. If you have thin, fine curls then the damage from excessive heat is even greater.
4. Ironing your curls frequently can lead to permanent hair loss.
5. Steam damage occurs when you try to heat style your hair while it is wet.
Read more about the true effects of straightening tools on your natural hair here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Seriously…We Are Still Hating On Gabby Douglas’ Hair in 2016?
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
- Does Having Natural Hair Make it Easier To Participate In Activities That You Avoided When Your Hair Was Straight? [Poll]
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]