Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
There have been more stories in the news of young girls who have experienced bullying or who have been treated differently simply because they chose to not straighten their hair.
From the ban of afro puffs and braids at a school in Ohio, to the young girl in Florida who experienced repeated bullying and faced being expelled from school because she chose to wear her hair natural, one would think that there is an all out war in some sectors against our young girls who are embracing their natural hair.
How can we teach our kids to embrace their natural hair when they are being made to feel different or ‘less than’ for choosing to wear their hair the way that it grows out of their heads?
1. Confirm for your child on a regular basis that they are beautiful; from the top of their heads down to their toes. These types of positive affirmations from the people who are most important in their lives – their parents and caregivers will help to reassure and reinforce their love of self.
2. Don’t use negative terms when talking about hair. Yes, natural hair takes getting used to, but that is because many of us aren’t used to working with our natural texture. All too often, we use the terms “thick”, “kinky”, “curly”, “nappy” and other descriptors in a negative way when it comes to describing our hair. Flip the script and speak in positive terms.
3. Do not let others spew negativity about your child’s natural hair. Address issues as they arise so your child knows that cynical comments are unacceptable.
To learn more tips on how to talk to your child, read the article, Engage Your Daughter On Her Natural Hair Journey: Here’s How.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
- Natural Hair and Bullying- What’s the Connection?
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- A Toronto District School Board Principal Suspends Student for Wearing Curls
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question