The Special Challenges of Type 4 Natural Hair – Turn a Challenge Into An Opportunity For Beautiful Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
Type 4 natural hair is beautiful; highly textured, full and thick-looking.
Whether your curls and coils are a distinctly crochet needle sized 4a or an undefined coily 4c, it is distinctly alluring.
But we Naturalista’s also know that looks can be deceiving.
Type 4 hair is very fragile despite how thick and healthy it may look. It is a curl pattern type that is both beautiful, yet easily tangled and matted because the strands wrap around each other like a Creeping Ivy and will not let go without gentle coaxing with a rich, detangling conditioner.
When it really comes down to it, most women are dealing with a problem that is specific to their hair, regardless of their hair type so don’t spend too much time obsessing about these little challenges that can be easily overcome.
- When washing your hair, use heavy, cream based cleansers like co-washing products to help reduce tangles and to keep your hair moisturized.
- Use leave in conditioners with strong detangling properties after washing and conditioning.
- Finger comb or used a wide tooth comb to gently get rid of any residual tangles.
- Deep condition on a regular basis – at least once a month with a rich butter or oil to maintain your hair’s moisture balance and infuse shine to your the hair.
- If you are concerned about matting, avoid wash and go’s and opt for braid and twist outs, bantu knots or roller sets to lessen the chance of matting.
- Use silk or satin pillowcases and scarfs when sleeping to avoid tangles and matting.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Are You Too Concerned With Curl Definition?
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Natural Hair Care 101: What is Co-Washing?
- Help a Brotha’ Out! How Do I Maintain My Locs?
- 4 Topics That Unnerve and Divide The Natural Hair Community
- A Retrospective: Our Favorite Natural Hair Products in 2013
- Want Natural Hair With Thicker And Stronger Ends? Try These 6 Tips!
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
- The Top Concerns of Women with Natural Hair – Felicia Leatherwood, Celebrity Stylist
- NHCN Podcast 0015: Loving Our Natural Hair Shrinkage
- The LOC Method for Type 4 Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question