Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Four out of five black women are overweight or obese.
- Despite being overweight, many women make a conscious decision not to take efforts to improve their health through exercise.
A recent study backs up the CDC’s finding. The study uncovered that the reason that some black women avoided exercise is because they did not want to sweat out their hair and ruin their hairstyle.
The study was conducted by the Center for Women’s Health Research at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and the Center for African American Health.
Researchers found that many black women avoid doing exercises that cause perspiration because they do not want to spend more money and time to have their hair re-straightened or restyled.
The positive that came out of this study is that more black women are embracing low maintenance hairstyles in order to reduce the time needed to restyle their hair after a workout; although a concern that was revealed in the study is that some black women are uneasy about how low maintenance hairstyles such as braids, or ponytails will be perceived in the workplace.
You can read more about the University of Colorado study here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Requiem for a Relaxer: Confessions of a Born Again Natural
- The Benefits of Natural Hair
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
- Why Pictures of Michelle Obama’s Natural Hair Are a Big Deal
- Using Technology To Track Your Natural Hair Journey- Share Your Selfies!
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- The Special Challenges of Type 4 Natural Hair – Turn a Challenge Into An Opportunity For Beautiful Hair
- NHCN Podcast 0017: The Natural Hair and the Latino Perspective With Carolina Contreras of Miss Rizos.com
- Black Owned Haircare Companies Taking the Lead in the Multimillion Dollar Natural Haircare Industry
- Naturalista Entrepreneur The First Black Woman To Be Awarded a Patent for Natural Hair Care Product That Saves Time For Busy Women
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- War Between Kitchen Stylists and Professional Stylists?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College