Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Four out of five black women are overweight or obese.
- Despite being overweight, many women make a conscious decision not to take efforts to improve their health through exercise.
A recent study backs up the CDC’s finding. The study uncovered that the reason that some black women avoided exercise is because they did not want to sweat out their hair and ruin their hairstyle.
The study was conducted by the Center for Women’s Health Research at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and the Center for African American Health.
Researchers found that many black women avoid doing exercises that cause perspiration because they do not want to spend more money and time to have their hair re-straightened or restyled.
The positive that came out of this study is that more black women are embracing low maintenance hairstyles in order to reduce the time needed to restyle their hair after a workout; although a concern that was revealed in the study is that some black women are uneasy about how low maintenance hairstyles such as braids, or ponytails will be perceived in the workplace.
You can read more about the University of Colorado study here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Requiem for a Relaxer: Confessions of a Born Again Natural
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights
- Dr. Yaba Blay Talks Black Hair Politics
- Why It’s Legal to Ban Natural Locs at Work
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
- MSNBC Host Melissa Harris Perry Shares Her Views About Natural Hair for New Book
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- Having Locs May Mean Unemployment: Should You Choose Your Hair or Your Job?
- Why Natural Hair Should Be Acceptable In Every Setting
- Natural Hair Versus Straight Hair- The War Rages On
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question