Help a Brotha’ Out! How Do I Maintain My Locs?
Here’s a brother with natural hair who wanted to share his journey, (and challenges) with our natural hair community.
Darryll is looking for some Naturalistas who can help him better care for his hair by offering your wisdom based on experience.
Read the article and “help a brotha’ out”! Leave your comments below.
I am a 58 year old grey haired large black man, that has been faced with many hair issues since I started growing my locs. Can I get a little help?
First, I must confess, that I did not choose locs, they sort of chose me or were chosen for me. You see, I got in an accident and separated both my quadriceps at the same time. Consequently, I was in the hospital and the rehab center “stuck” for an extended period of time.
My sister climbed into the bed with me, bless her loving heart, and took the time to twist my hair. She said, I had a “scary afro”, and she couldn’t stand me looking like that any longer. My wife liked it, and that was the start of my life with locs… And then the hair issues began… I was told to tie it up when I went to bed!
Questions: First, what is that “Black Bees Wax” stuff that gets all over everything all about? How do I get that stuff out of my pillowcases? And is that part of the start to this process really necessary?
Second, who teaches a guy like me, how and when I should moisturize my hair, and why does it itch and what does that itch really mean?
At the beginning, it looked crazy most of the time and I couldn’t make it look or act like I wanted it to consistently.
Third, how often should one get their hair re-twisted? Washed? Scalp massaged, cholesterol treated… etc.
How come I shouldn’t use products with the words alcohol or something that I can’t pronounce in the ingredient section of the product? Where do you go to learn these things????
I’ve had short hair, (I spent eight years in the Active Duty Military). I used the blue stuff on a regular basis and if my hair got really dry, I would use the green stuff! (Ultra-sheen). That was it and I was good for the rest of the day.
Is there a hair course available for a “Brotha” to take (on) natural haircare and loc maintenance? Mmmmm… I’m afraid I just have to wait for my sister’s and my schedule to mesh. Which is not too often to get my hair done.
Don’t get me wrong, my sister is awesome and because of her and Mother Nature, I sport locks of three and a half feet or better, and yes I have been told that they are healthy and amazingly beautiful…
But, I’ve gone to three different hair salons and each time I get a lecture on haircare. Each place charged me a different amount; the highest was $175.00, which I cannot maintain given this climate of economics we now live in. Whew… Therefore, what’s a man to do? Where do I go from here? As I move into my senior years, should I just break down and get a shave or can I get a little help from YOU!!!!!!
Author: Darryll “Dax” Maston
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- An Easy Flat Twist Style for You to Try [Video]
- 5 Things Keeping You From a Solid Hair Regimen
- OK Ladies Now Let’s Get “In FORMATION”
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- The Top 10 Most Rude Comments Family and Friends Make About My Natural Hair
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- NHCN Podcast 0010: Is Natural Hair a Fad or Here To Stay?
- Two Lucky Winners of Our Fall, 2014 Natural Hair Products Survey Will Be Announced Soon!
- Natural Hair Annual Events
- Tennessee’s First Natural Hair School Celebrates Its 100% Pass Rate
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here