Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
On her recent interview with HuffPost Live’s Caitlyn Becker, Grammy-award winning singer Jill Scott made a very interesting hair analogy.
Becker pointed out that Jill is a body-image hero and a natural hair proponent and asked her if she thinks that “it’s the responsibility of women — performers, actress, songwriters — to pave the way for girls growing up?”
Jill answered that it is the responsibility of every grown person to be a good example to young people. And about her hair, she pointed to it and said;
“This is a hat. It’s a hat made of hair. It does not define me. It does not make me who I am in any way, shape, or form. It’s a hat.”
And indeed like a hat, natural hair can be worn many exciting and different ways. Now about the debate about whether black women should wear their hair natural or not, Jill also had this to say;
“I need young women, especially young black women, not to separate themselves because of this hat that you have on. At the end of the day, you shave it off, we’re still all black women.”
You can watch the interview below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- NHCN Podcast 004: Natural Hair in the Workplace
- My Deva Chan Salon Experience- Transitioning Hair Cut
- Ebony.com’s Summer Tips for Natural Hair
- Do You Find the Term “Nappy Hair” Offensive?
- Frizz Prevention 101 for DIY and Anti Frizz Product Recommendations For the Rest of Us!
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident