Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Do Chemo Caps Really Work On Natural Hair? Trish’s Chemo Hair Loss Journey - June 20, 2017
- Take the #BlackSalonProblems Survey - June 2, 2017
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair - May 3, 2017
On her recent interview with HuffPost Live’s Caitlyn Becker, Grammy-award winning singer Jill Scott made a very interesting hair analogy.
Becker pointed out that Jill is a body-image hero and a natural hair proponent and asked her if she thinks that “it’s the responsibility of women — performers, actress, songwriters — to pave the way for girls growing up?”
Jill answered that it is the responsibility of every grown person to be a good example to young people. And about her hair, she pointed to it and said;
“This is a hat. It’s a hat made of hair. It does not define me. It does not make me who I am in any way, shape, or form. It’s a hat.”
And indeed like a hat, natural hair can be worn many exciting and different ways. Now about the debate about whether black women should wear their hair natural or not, Jill also had this to say;
“I need young women, especially young black women, not to separate themselves because of this hat that you have on. At the end of the day, you shave it off, we’re still all black women.”
You can watch the interview below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- Black Women with Natural Hair – My Reflections
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Lupita Nyong’o’s Groundbreaking Approach to the Teenie Weenie Afro
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace