Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
On her recent interview with HuffPost Live’s Caitlyn Becker, Grammy-award winning singer Jill Scott made a very interesting hair analogy.
Becker pointed out that Jill is a body-image hero and a natural hair proponent and asked her if she thinks that “it’s the responsibility of women — performers, actress, songwriters — to pave the way for girls growing up?”
Jill answered that it is the responsibility of every grown person to be a good example to young people. And about her hair, she pointed to it and said;
“This is a hat. It’s a hat made of hair. It does not define me. It does not make me who I am in any way, shape, or form. It’s a hat.”
And indeed like a hat, natural hair can be worn many exciting and different ways. Now about the debate about whether black women should wear their hair natural or not, Jill also had this to say;
“I need young women, especially young black women, not to separate themselves because of this hat that you have on. At the end of the day, you shave it off, we’re still all black women.”
You can watch the interview below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- Are Natural Hair Wash and Go’s For Everyone? Pros and Cons
- Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair Straight From the Grocery Aisle
- My Deva Chan Salon Experience- Transitioning Hair Cut
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Natural Hairstyles for Formal Events- Sexy and Elegant Styles for Natural Hair
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- A Homemade Shampoo Recipe for Natural Hair
- Should You “Texlax” Your Kinks and Curls?
- NHCN Podcast 009: A Conversation With Natural Hair Expert Marie Compere of Luv My Natural Curls
- NHCN Podcast 0019: The Lucrative Hair Weave Market