Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
On her recent interview with HuffPost Live’s Caitlyn Becker, Grammy-award winning singer Jill Scott made a very interesting hair analogy.
Becker pointed out that Jill is a body-image hero and a natural hair proponent and asked her if she thinks that “it’s the responsibility of women — performers, actress, songwriters — to pave the way for girls growing up?”
Jill answered that it is the responsibility of every grown person to be a good example to young people. And about her hair, she pointed to it and said;
“This is a hat. It’s a hat made of hair. It does not define me. It does not make me who I am in any way, shape, or form. It’s a hat.”
And indeed like a hat, natural hair can be worn many exciting and different ways. Now about the debate about whether black women should wear their hair natural or not, Jill also had this to say;
“I need young women, especially young black women, not to separate themselves because of this hat that you have on. At the end of the day, you shave it off, we’re still all black women.”
You can watch the interview below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Lupita Nyong’o’s Groundbreaking Approach to the Teenie Weenie Afro
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- News Anchor Pam McKelvy Removes Wig and Reveals Her Natural Hair on the Air
- “I Have a Nice Interesting Grade of Hair”: Do Celebrity Comments Reinforce The Good Hair, Bad Hair Divide? [Video]
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective