Love Your Braids But Hate The Itch? Simple Strategies for Battling Itchy Scalp
Braided styles are great protective style choices. But there is the mistaken belief that wearing braids means that you don’t have to worry as much about your hair and scalp.
That is true to some small extent. It’s a fact that braided styles gives you back the time that you might normally use for styling your hair; but it’s a style that is not necessarily problem-free.
One of the biggest issues that most women who braid their hair complain about is the itch and there are a number of factors that contribute to scalp itch.
But guess what? You don’t have to be a victim of the “itch”. Just try at least one of these quick tips and keep scalp itch at bay:
Don’t braid your hair too tightly. I know that you want those braids to last forever, but pulling the scalp too tightly will cause your scalp to itch. Worse – you risk permanent hair loss from traction alopecia, a condition where the hair is pulled so tightly that it damages the root of the hair permanently, causing spot baldness. Don’t sacrifice making your hairstyle last for permanent baldness. It’s not a fair trade-off!
Cleanse your braids regularly to alleviate product buildup and to rinse away sweat and grime that contribute to scalp irritation. Don’t be heavy handed with hair products during the washing process.
When my daughter wore box braids, I used a mild clear shampoo diluted with water to wash her braids. I also used a very light conditioner, again diluted with water. This helped prevent scalp buildup which causes itchy scalp and kept her hair and scalp looking great.
I also alternated using either a solution of one part apple cider vinegar, (ACV) and two parts water as a hair rinse, (followed by diluted conditioner) as needed between shampoos. Use ACV sparingly as it can be drying.
Another very effective method for cleansing the scalp is using 100% aloe vera juice or witch hazel. Apply either product to the scalp with a lint free cloth.
If you have special tips or strategies that have worked for you, be sure to leave a comment below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know
- Hair Edges: Why You Are Losing It & How You Can Restore It
- Ebony.com’s Summer Tips for Natural Hair
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- That Itchy Scalp Driving You Crazy? What Causes Itchy Scalp and How To Combat It
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth
- Are Relaxers Becoming Extinct?
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Help a Brotha’ Out! How Do I Maintain My Locs?
- Walking the Talk: The Day I Finally Convinced My Daughter to Stop Texturizing Her Hair
- The Top Ten Super Foods for Healthy Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place