8 Really Good Reasons To Stop Straightening Your Hair and Go Natural
We’ve heard ad nauseum that relaxers not only cause serious damage to our hair but that the chemicals in relaxers are in fact a health risk.
But there are so many other reasons, (and benefits) to going natural:
1. You begin to learn about your “real” hair and all of its beauty. Whether you label your hair coily, curly, wavy or “nappy”, going natural brings us in touch with who we really are.
2. Natural hair is beautiful and a real head turner. Although more women are choosing to go natural, you still stand out in a crowd of straight, or weaved-hair women!
3. Prevents scalp damage and hair loss. Straightening with chemicals in particular can cause scalp burns and permanent hair loss.
4. Your hair grows really fast! Well it grows at its normal rate but it seems faster because the hair is not being broken off by straightening it.
5. Your hair looks fuller and thicker. What is more beautiful than thick, lush, healthy-looking hair? Over time, women who continually straighten their hair complain about how thin it looks and lament about how thick “it used to be before I started relaxing my hair”.
6. You can indirectly educate the masses about the beauty of natural hair. I’m not advocating per se that naturals have to represent and educate those who are ignorant about natural hair. But, if natural hair becomes more mainstream because more women are wearing their hair in its natural state, it will start to become a more accepted styling choice and we will start to minimize the issues of discrimination that some naturals face in the workplace or at school just because they choose to wear their hair “differently”.
7. Eliminate or minimize the anxiety around “messing up” our hairstyle. Raining? Who cares! Want to go for a swim? Sure! No more worries about the cost of restyling straightened hair.
8. Save money. Enough said.
Share your reasons for going natural as well as the benefits that you’ve experienced in the comments below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- BBC News Covers Stylists’ Concerns Due to Shift to Natural Hair
- The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- Embracing My Natural Crown
- Are Relaxers Becoming Extinct?
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- My Natural Hair Story
- Ready To Go Natural? 14 Reasons Why You Should
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not