These 3 Hairstyles Can Be Keeping You from Reaching the Length You Want
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Gaining length is one of the top concerns of women with natural hair.
Although our hair is always growing, length gain is not that obvious in curly, kinky hair. On average, hair grows ½ inch a month or 6-inches in a year. But there are a lot of things that can keep you from reaching your goal length. You could be using the wrong products or not caring for it the right way or you could be wearing the wrong hairstyle. Some protective hairstyles are not as protective as you think!
It is important to consider the hairstyle you use because it could be the reason you are not seeing growth. This article from the Black Girl Long Hair blog discusses three hairstyles that may not be the best for gaining length.
These hairstyles are:
- Havanna twists
- The wash ‘n go (are you surprised?)
- The blow out
The wash ‘n go was indeed the most surprising to me. As I see my sister and NHCN partner Dianne’s hair length far surpass mine, although she went natural over a year after I cut my locs, I’m sold on the idea. She maintains her mane through twist and braid outs. I have been consistently sporting a wash ‘n go.
If you are wearing any of these styles and notice that your hair seems to have stopped growing, maybe you should consider switching to another hairstyle. That’s what I’ll be doing. You can find out what makes these 3 hairstyles a no-no when aiming for length and how you can minimize loss of length by reading the article here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Why Is My Hair Not Growing? Reasons Why Your Hair Is Stubbornly Short
- Are You Protective Styling Or Defective Styling?
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- My Deva Chan Salon Experience- Transitioning Hair Cut
- NHCN Podcast 0014: Natural Hair Envy
- Using Technology To Track Your Natural Hair Journey- Share Your Selfies!
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question