These 3 Hairstyles Can Be Keeping You from Reaching the Length You Want
Gaining length is one of the top concerns of women with natural hair.
Although our hair is always growing, length gain is not that obvious in curly, kinky hair. On average, hair grows ½ inch a month or 6-inches in a year. But there are a lot of things that can keep you from reaching your goal length. You could be using the wrong products or not caring for it the right way or you could be wearing the wrong hairstyle. Some protective hairstyles are not as protective as you think!
It is important to consider the hairstyle you use because it could be the reason you are not seeing growth. This article from the Black Girl Long Hair blog discusses three hairstyles that may not be the best for gaining length.
These hairstyles are:
- Havanna twists
- The wash ‘n go (are you surprised?)
- The blow out
The wash ‘n go was indeed the most surprising to me. As I see my sister and NHCN partner Dianne’s hair length far surpass mine, although she went natural over a year after I cut my locs, I’m sold on the idea. She maintains her mane through twist and braid outs. I have been consistently sporting a wash ‘n go.
If you are wearing any of these styles and notice that your hair seems to have stopped growing, maybe you should consider switching to another hairstyle. That’s what I’ll be doing. You can find out what makes these 3 hairstyles a no-no when aiming for length and how you can minimize loss of length by reading the article here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Why Is My Hair Not Growing? Reasons Why Your Hair Is Stubbornly Short
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- The Shea Moisture Ad Fail Amid Social Media Backlash
- New Natural Haircare Product Promises “Curls That Won’t Back Down”
- More Proof That Chemical Relaxers Are Making Black Women Sick
- Walking the Talk: The Day I Finally Convinced My Daughter to Stop Texturizing Her Hair
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Castor Oil and Why It Is Good for Natural Hair
- Are You Ready To Go Natural?
- NHCN Podcast 005: Embracing Our Own Standard of Natural Beauty
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- How Does my Natural Hair Affect my Life in the Professional World?