What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
I recently read a thought provoking article on the girlwiththatafro blog that I think is important to share with the Natural Haircare News community.
The article Chemically Relaxing Hair is a Form of Socially Acceptable Child Abuse dives into the decades old practice of adding dangerous chemicals to our children’s hair to straighten it; knowing that the risk of scalp burns, or hair loss is an inevitable part of the process.
We all know of babies whose mothers are adding chemicals to their child’s hair at the earliest sign of a kink or curl. We’ve witnessed our kids crying and all the while proclaiming that “it burns” as we continue to add chemicals to the scalp; pleading with our babies that it is “just a few more minutes”. The underlying premise is that we are knowingly hurting our children and therefore it is a form of abuse…
The author gives examples of how it is illegal to allow kids of a certain age to use a tanning bed because of the clear health risks, so why aren’t chemical relaxers held to a similar standard? Should children of a certain age even be allowed to get their hair relaxed because of the known health hazards?
One of the more interesting articles that I’ve read on the topic of relaxing children’s hair.
You can read the article here. What do you think?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- Teaching Our Children to Love Their Hair
- Giving Our Black Babies A “Head” Start
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Kristina and Jaida: Two Beautiful Young Ladies Who Love Their Natural Hair! (Pictures)
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
- Five year old Maleigha’s Natural Hair Salon Adventure
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective