The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
I’ve always loved the benefits of a deep conditioning treatment. Deep conditioning eliminates dryness and maximizes moisture retention, which is the key to minimizing damaged, straw-like hair.
I recently discovered the benefits of hair steaming over deep conditioning under a hooded dryer and I haven’t looked back.
Hair steaming is a process where you basically apply steam to freshly washed and conditioned hair; leaving the conditioning on the hair during the steam process. I think that deep conditioning using steam is much better than deep conditioning under a hot dryer which radiates dry heat. Dry heat can lead to dryness if you are not careful. Steam conditioning your hair on the other hand is like moisturizing on steroids.
How Hair Steaming Works
The steam looks much like a fine foggy mist. This water drenched “mist” swells the hair cuticle; lifting up the cuticle layer and allowing not only the moisture from the steam into the hair shaft where it is needed the most, but it creates a pathway for the rich ingredients in your deep conditioning product to really work on healing your hair from the inside, out.
Unlike a deep conditioning treatment under a conventional hair dryer, you don’t need to wear a plastic cap while steaming since it is important to get the moisturizing benefits of the water from the steam into the hair shaft. After steaming, just rinse out your conditioner as usual. Using a cool to cold water rinse really helps to smooth the cuticle and seal in all of the wonderful water and conditioning benefits that you’ve gained from steaming.
Additional Benefits Of Steaming
- Quickly eliminates dry hair due to its unparalleled moisture infusion.
- Effectively helps to unclog a dry and flaky scalp.
- Adds curl definition for those with defined natural curls and kinks because steaming locks in moisture.
- Helps to eliminate frizz
- Your hair will not only look moisturized and healthy but feel moisturized – because it is – from the inside out.
- Ten minutes is all that you need to get the benefits of steam.
Steamer Types and Prices
There are all types of hair steamers ranging from table top to floor model hair steamers.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a good steamer; just be sure to read the specifications to make sure that it is the right type for your needs. And if you happen to have a steam shower in your home or at the gym, then you really have it made!
You can check out steamers below, or go to your local beauty supply store, which may also carry a variety of brands. Definitely check out Huetiful Steamers which offers a table top steamer with a facial steamer attachment.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- It’s Not Too Late To Protect Your Hair Against The Summer Rays and Dreaded Humidity
- The Top Concerns of Women with Natural Hair – Felicia Leatherwood, Celebrity Stylist
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Exploring the History of the Natural Hair Movement
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- Naturalista Entrepreneur The First Black Woman To Be Awarded a Patent for Natural Hair Care Product That Saves Time For Busy Women
- Top Tips for Dealing with Black Hair Discrimination
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- Natural Hair Wigs and Weaves Are All The Rage In Hollywood
- NHCN Podcast 0018: Help a Brotha’ Out- How Do I Maintain My Locs?
- A Homemade Shampoo Recipe for Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here