What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
If you haven’t read the “…14-Step Guide to Happiness” interview with Viola Davis on Vulture.com, be sure to check it out. Ms. Davis is an insightful woman who has so much to share about personal growth.
But since this is a hair blog, I’ll focus on her comments about her experience with her hair; reflections that many of us can relate to and that we can all learn from as we continue our own natural hair journey.
We need to find avenues to alleviate stress
Viola shared that she struggled with self-esteem issues related to losing her hair in her twenties from a condition called Alopecia Areata; a disorder that causes “your immune system [to] attack your hair follicles”, (Web MD). The hair falls out and sufferers are left with bald patches. In some cases the hair does grow back but it is more sparse and prone to breakage. In some cases, the hair never comes back.
As a result of the disorder, Viola states that she wore wigs as “a crutch”. She was able to eventually overcome her discomfort with her hair and now wears wigs in lieu of her natural hair when she feels like wearing a wig, and not because she has to.
Take away: Internalizing stress can manifest itself in so many ways: hair loss, poor health, and crankiness among other conditions. Find ways to alleviate stress through meditation, yoga, reading a book, professional counseling; whatever works for you.
Get rid of excess baggage that impacts your self-confidence
Viola clearly was able to reclaim her sense of self, long before we saw her rock her beautiful natural hair at the 2012 Oscars.
When we don’t trust our own abilities, or believe in ourselves, it can have a ripple affect and impact not only our day-to-day activities, but also how we view ourselves.
Have you ever looked in a mirror and wondered who that “ugly” person is in the reflection? Or bemoan how you are “too fat” or “too skinny”, “too dark”, “not dark enough”, “not smart enough”…
Or maybe you have let other people’s thoughts affect your own belief system and actions.
Have you ever questioned your natural hair journey because someone told you that you should “straighten your nappy hair”? Have you ever envied someone else’s natural hair because their hair is “naturally curly” instead of “kinky”?
Take away: This is all baggage that is rooted in a lack of self-esteem and confidence. Decide today that you are going to work on reclaiming your confidence, and natural beauty, just like Ms. Davis did. Here’s how:
- Write down everything that makes you feel insecure. Recognizing and admitting to our weaknesses is one of the first steps towards regaining our self-confidence.
- Catalog the things about yourself that you are proud of. Just as it is important to recognize what we perceive to be as our shortcomings, it is even more important to recognize all of the wonderful things about us that make us who we are. Nothing is too miniscule to add to this list.
- Banish negative thinking through positive reinforcement. Whenever negative thoughts or perceptions seep into your conscious, replace those thoughts with positive ones; even if you don’t believe the positive thought. Research shows that negative thinking can be eliminated through the practice of replacing the negative thought with a positive one. Daily positive affirmations are a great way to incorporate positive affirmations into your life.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Scalp Care Don’t Care? Take Heed From These Naturalistas!
- I’m Losing My Natural Hair [Video] – A Naturalista’s Cancer Hair Loss Journey
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025
- Black Women and Hair Loss: Heed the Warning Signs
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place