Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
Locs, (also known as dreadlocks) is a hairstyle that goes back centuries but was made popular by Rastafarians, a religious group with roots in Jamaica.
This natural hairstyle alternative actually originated out of the religious belief that worldly possessions, including hair styling tools should be shunned.
According to Dreadlocks.org, the actual term “dreadlocks” originated from Jamaican tradition where individuals with “natty locks in their hair should be ‘dreaded’ or feared”.
As the style became popular in the mainstream culture, the word “dread” was dropped in favor of what seems to be the more popular term, “locs”.
Contributors to the Urban Dictionary, share that there is some debate as to whether locs should be categorized as dreadlocks since the process for locking based on mainstream methods requires the actual act of grooming the hair whereas those who wear dreadlocks for spiritual purposes do not style or “maintain” their hair at all beyond washing with water. The hair is just left to bond or mat together into the signature dreadlocks.
Caring for Locs:
Ebony.com offers some great tips on caring for your locs including, why finding a good locktician is a must and the importance of sleeping with a silk scarf to protect your locs from friction.
We want to learn from your experience. Do you have tips that you can share about your loc journey that will help other women with their journey?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- Where Do Braids and Locks Fit On The Natural Hair Spectrum?
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- New Natural Hairstyle Ideas for 2018
- Video: Got Locs? Loc Curling Tips and Hairstyles
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- A Historical Perspective to Natural Hair Movement
- How The Natural Hair Movement Empowered Me
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question