Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative
Locs, (also known as dreadlocks) is a hairstyle that goes back centuries but was made popular by Rastafarians, a religious group with roots in Jamaica.
This natural hairstyle alternative actually originated out of the religious belief that worldly possessions, including hair styling tools should be shunned.
According to Dreadlocks.org, the actual term “dreadlocks” originated from Jamaican tradition where individuals with “natty locks in their hair should be ‘dreaded’ or feared”.
As the style became popular in the mainstream culture, the word “dread” was dropped in favor of what seems to be the more popular term, “locs”.
Contributors to the Urban Dictionary, share that there is some debate as to whether locs should be categorized as dreadlocks since the process for locking based on mainstream methods requires the actual act of grooming the hair whereas those who wear dreadlocks for spiritual purposes do not style or “maintain” their hair at all beyond washing with water. The hair is just left to bond or mat together into the signature dreadlocks.
Caring for Locs:
Ebony.com offers some great tips on caring for your locs including, why finding a good locktician is a must and the importance of sleeping with a silk scarf to protect your locs from friction.
We want to learn from your experience. Do you have tips that you can share about your loc journey that will help other women with their journey?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair
- Natural Hair Annual Events
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- A Historical Perspective to Natural Hair Movement
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
- The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Growth Tracking the Natural Hair Industry Over the Last Five Years
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals
- Exploring the History of the Natural Hair Movement
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College