Black Women with Natural Hair – My Reflections
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
- Natural Hair Care News Founder Featured in Entrepreneurship Video - August 25, 2017
I’ve been natural for over three years and it has been quite the eye opening journey.
I have made a point of absorbing everything there is to learn about natural hair and the women that choose to wear their hair natural. My general observations:
There are still vestiges of that old school belief that natural hair needs to be straightened to be acceptable.
I see many more black women wearing their hair natural than even three years ago, yet there are people who don’t believe in letting “live and let live”. Some people just don’t like the look, which is fine. To each his own. Then there are those who feel the need to let us know what they think about our choice to not straighten our hair. Comments like, “are you going to do something with your hair” – or worse – serve no purpose and don’t faze most Naturalistas. It is one of the many reasons why I believe that …
Women who chose to wear their hair natural have a lot of confidence.
Have you ever watched a woman with beautiful, kinky, coily, or curly hair walk into a room or stroll down the street? There is an air of confidence that is indisputable. Now, there may be women thinking, “Is there a beautician in the house”? I choose to believe that most are thinking, “I love her hair”! Regardless of the reason, natural hair turns heads and women who chose to wear their hair in its natural state have to exude confidence. People are watching.
Naturalista’s are hair product junkies! Or maybe we just love to experiment. Every Naturalisa that I know has at a minimum four or more different hair products that they use, are about to use, or no longer care to use.
We love trying new products or searching for the holy grail of creams, gels, and elixirs that will detangle, moisturize, curl or defrizz. I have my staple products, but I love trying new products based on other natural women’s recommendations.
We are product chemists who love experimenting with making our own DIY products. We are known for making wonderful concoctions that nourish, revitalize and enrich our hair. In fact, many of the products that we buy started in a Naturalista’s kitchen!
Gotta love my natural haired sisters!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Don’t Believe The Hype: 6 Untruths About Natural Hair
- 8 Really Good Reasons To Stop Straightening Your Hair and Go Natural
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
- 5 Tried And Tested Ways To Stop Hair Breakage
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- The Choice Is Yours
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Senegalese Women’s Group Called “N’happy Galsen Find The Beauty In Their Natural Hair
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
- It’s Not Too Late To Protect Your Hair Against The Summer Rays and Dreaded Humidity
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question