Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
The Atlanta Black Star posted a compelling article, on what the author shares are the “9 things that white people don’t understand about black, (women’s) hair”. What I loved about the article is the general perspective, (and corresponding pictures) shared on the following 9 focal points relating to a black woman’s relationship with her hair:
- Black Women Do Not Have To Wash Their Hair Everyday
- Oil Is Actually Good For Black Hair
- Black Hair Can Shrink
- Not Every Black Woman That You See With Long Hair Has Extensions
- Black Hair Comes In a Variety of Textures
- A Black Women’s Natural Hair Is Not Unprofessional or Unkempt
- Black Women Aren’t Trying to Make a Rebellious Statement By Wearing Their Hair Natural
- Styling a Black Women’s Hair Usually Takes a Lot of Time Natural or Not
- There Are Many Reasons Why Black Women Don’t Change Their Hairstyle As Often As White Women Do
I’m not sure that I agree with all of the points. For example, I can’t agree with number 9 as most black women I know love to change their hairstyles. I also think that the amount of time spent on one’s hair is relative. I don’t know too many black women who can wash style and “go” in 20 minutes but 45 – minutes to an hour to style one’s hair may seem very fast if you are someone who spends two hours on your hair.
You can read the full article here. Natural Haircare News would love to know your opinions on the article, so leave a comment below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Cultural Appropriation of “Black” Hairstyles Creating a Buzz [Video]
- Video: Natural Hairstyle Evolution Over The Last 100 Years
- Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Nappy Hair – The Other “N” Word?
- Two Lucky Winners of Our Fall, 2014 Natural Hair Products Survey Will Be Announced Soon!
- Porcha and Sami: Natural Haircare News Amazon Gift Card Survey Winners!
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question