Bergamot Essential Oil for Healthy Hair
Latest posts by Almasi (see all)
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth - October 23, 2015
- Bergamot Essential Oil for Healthy Hair - June 30, 2015
Share your story as a guest poster and be featured on our website and social media pages just like Almasi. Click here.
Bergamot essential oil is expressed from the rind of a fruit which is a member of the citrus family that includes oranges and lemons. This aromatherapy oil which is used to relieve stress, muscle spasms and treat acne, can also be used to make healing hair care products.
Bergamot Hot Oil Treatment
Bergamot essential oil strengthens weak and damaged hair. You can therefore use it to make a pre-poo hot oil treatment which should be applied to the hair and covered with a shower cap for at least 30 minutes.
2 oz (60 ml) coconut oil
1 oz (30 ml) jojoba
36 drops bergamot essential oil
You can blend bergamot with other essential oils that strengthen the hair like geranium essential oil. Make sure that you do not use more than 36 drops for all the essential oils in 3 ounces of your chosen carrier oils so that you can maintain a safe 2% dilution.
Since bergamot essential oil strengthens weak hair, you can also add it to your protein conditioners to make them more potent. Ensure that you also cover your hair with a plastic cap for at least 30 minutes before rinsing to give the healing oils time to work.
4 oz (120 ml) coconut oil
4 oz (120 ml) aloe vera gel
4 oz (120 ml) yogurt
40 drops bergamot essential oil
Bergamot Scalp Balm
Bergamot essential oil is used to treat psoriasis on the scalp. You make a healing scalp balm by adding this aromatherapy oil to shea butter that has been whipped with coconut oil and jojoba. To use, massage the balm onto the affected areas after you have consulted your doctor.
4 oz (120 gram) shea butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp jojoba
40 drops bergamot essential oil
Bergamot essential oil also has a sweet and fruity scent which is also very refreshing. You can therefore use it as a natural fragrance for hair care products.
Bergamot Essential Oil Contraindications
Before adding bergamot essential oil to your hair care regimen, ensure that you are not pregnant or breastfeeding. If you have a sensitive scalp avoid it since it can irritate the skin.
Since bergamot essential oil makes the skin more sensitive to sunlight, protect your hair from the sun for at least 12 hours after using it. You can do this by wearing a hat or treating your hair in the evening before you go to bed.
If you have never used bergamot essential oil before mix 3 drops with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and apply the oils to the inside of your elbow. Wait for at least 24 hours as you observe your skin for rashes or itchiness. If you develop any sign of irritation, do not use bergamot essential oil.
Have you ever used bergamot essential oil in your hair care products?
|Almasi W is a certified aromatherapist, freelance writer and the author of Safe Aromatherapy for Healthy Hair. Visit her blog at Ask The Skin Doctor or follow her on Twitter @AskAlmasi.|
You May Also Like:
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Tips for Preventing Hair Product Acne
- Confessions of a Former Product Junkie
- Readers’ Spotlight: Wen Hair Product Review – Sundra Oakley
- Are You Protective Styling Or Defective Styling?
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Castor Oil and Why It Is Good for Natural Hair
- Readers’ Spotlight: Terri’s Transition to Natural Hair
- Readers’ Spotlight: Mixed Chicks – Product Review
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair