Cultural Appropriation of “Black” Hairstyles Creating a Buzz [Video]
The adoption of what is considered to be a black women’s hairstyle by white women is a big topic of conversation on the Internet.
White women, most notably celebrities, have been sporting cornrows and box braids over the last few years and the trend is not limited to the entertainment industry. The very act is referred to as cultural appropriation: The adaptation of some part of a cultural element or norm associated with people of color.
I am going to take the position of “devil’s advocate” and pose the following:
- Is the fact that white women are donning hairstyles traditionally associated with black women really that big of a deal?
- As the saying goes, isn’t imitation a form of flattery?
- Shouldn’t we all have the choice of wearing our hair in any way that we choose? Many black women have taken the position that how we wear our hair is a styling choice which has no greater meaning. That includes whether we choose to wear our hair natural, relaxed, locked, or braided. Can’t the same concept be true for women of other cultures who “appropriate” hairstyles from the black community?
- If this is an issue for some women of color, why is it an issue?
There is an interesting video featuring Amandla Stenberg, (who played Rue in the Hunger Games). Amandla shares her perspective on cultural appropriation as it relates to hair and other aspects of black culture:
What do you think?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Seriously…We Are Still Hating On Gabby Douglas’ Hair in 2016?
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
- Does Having Natural Hair Make it Easier To Participate In Activities That You Avoided When Your Hair Was Straight? [Poll]
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not