Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
A while back, we shared a story on the swirl of controversy surrounding comedian Sheryl Underwood’s comments on the show The Talk about natural hair.
Underwood is one of the co-hosts of The Talk, and back in 2013, she referenced afro hair as being “nasty”.
To be fair, let’s put the comment into some context. In response to a story on Heidi Klum where Heidi describes saving the hair of her biracial children, Sheryl chimed “Why would you want to save afro hair?” She continued to state:
“You can’t weave Afro hair, you don’t never see us at the hair place going, look here, what I need, I need this curly, nappy, beady hair, that just seems nasty.”
And the icing on the cake comment in response to another co-host that the host also saves her children’s hair:
[Sarah Gilbert’s kids] “…probably have that beautiful, long, silky stuff… that’s not what an afro is.”
To Sheryl’s credit, she did apologize on the Steve Harvey Show for her comments but it left a bad taste in many mouths.
Fast forward to 2015. It seems that time can mellow viewpoints. Recently, Sheryl revealed her own natural hair live on her show “The Talk” and more importantly, Sheryl shared a powerful apology to the black community:
“I made some statements that were not only wrong, they hurt our community and when I say our community black people are very sensitive about a discussion about our hair. And in my comments and trying to explain but it was juxtaposed against statements that were very very hurtful. And to come out of the mouth of a very proud black woman… I was wrong. And I wanted to take the time to apologize; especially in the forum that this discussion occurred; because there was a lot of backlash…”
Is her apology 2 years too late or does it even matter? We learn a lot through retrospection. Watch the full five minute video to hear the rest of Sheryl’s extremely powerful apology.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Just a Joke? Comedian Sheryl Underwood’s Shocking Comments on “Nasty Afro Hair” [Video]
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- Video: Natural Hairstyle Evolution Over The Last 100 Years
- I’m Losing My Natural Hair [Video] – A Naturalista’s Cancer Hair Loss Journey
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- What Type of Black Man Loves Natural Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question