Move Over Argan, Monoi and Jojoba Oil: There’s A Tried and True Staple That Boosts the Strength of Natural Hair
Exotic oils like Argan and Monoi oil have grown in popularity in recent years; and rightfully so. These oils work wonders on all types of hair because of their moisture infusing properties. But let’s not forget an old staple that is readily available in most kitchens: Good ole olive oil!
Olive oil may seem old school to some but it’s an oil not to be overlooked.
Why is olive oil so effective?
- Olive oil eases problems with scalp dryness and itchiness
- Olive oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties which can help ease irritating scalp issues such as dandruff or dry scalp
- This simple oil does wonders for reducing frizz and adding moisture to our hair
- The properties in olive oil helps to promote hair growth – and who doesn’t want that?
- Olive oil contains antioxidants, and is rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin K as well as anti inflammatory agents
Best ways to use this gentle but potent olive oil
Pre Poo: Before shampooing, saturate your hair and scalp then wrap your hair in a plastic cap for 20 minutes and just relax! After 20 minutes, massage your scalp to help cleanse it by loosening any debris (which also stimulates the scalp in the process), then shampoo and condition as usual.
The oil can also be heated for a great hot oil treatment by gently warming ½ cup to 1 cup of olive oil in the microwave; testing it before applying it to your hair to ensure that the oil is not too hot.
Wrap your hair in a warm towel, or plastic shower cap for 20 minutes to one hour, then wash and condition your hair.
Add to Shampoo/Conditioner: You don’t want to use too much when adding olive oil to your cleansing and conditioning routine. Add approximately 2 teaspoons to your regular dollop of shampoo or conditioner then shampoo and condition as usual.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Natural Hair Care- the Rise of Natural Hair Products from the Era of Madam CJ Walker to Present
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands
- Natural Hair Regimen
- How Embracing Natural Hair Boosts Self-Love and Confidence
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
- A Toronto District School Board Principal Suspends Student for Wearing Curls
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
- Growth Tracking the Natural Hair Industry Over the Last Five Years
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here