The Politics of Hair: Choosing Between Straight or Natural Hair on the Job [Video]
Here’s a real life situation on the topic of natural hair in the workplace that we dish about here at Natural Haircare News: The challenges that black women face every day that choose to wear their hair natural on the job.
TV anchor Angela Green with Greenville North Carolina’s WNCT TV presented a dilemma via video facing station intern, Madison Jaggers on the television station’s Facebook page. Madison, 19, a second year college student has a head full of natural curls. The dilemma presented: Does the audience think that Madison should straighten her hair for an upcoming production project that Madison would appear in? (Note: It’s not clear whether this video project is with WNCT TV).
Based on the posted video conversation, (below), Madison was told in preparation for production that her hair is “too big” and that she needs to “straighten it out”. The intern was also told that her big hair would “be distracting”.
What Do You Think?
TV anchor Angela Green’s personal advice to Madison and I’m paraphrasing: It’s what the boss wants so for the sake of the project, Madison should straighten her hair. Angela also added that she understood that this response would not bode well with many, which is why she was curious as to what the audience thought.
The video has gone viral and has sparked a wave of debate over the ongoing issue of natural versus straight hair in the workplace.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- How Does my Natural Hair Affect my Life in the Professional World?
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam!
- 4 Videos That Show You How to Draw Natural Hair
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- 3 Funny Videos of Brothers and a Father Doing Natural Hair
- What Type of Black Man Loves Natural Hair?
- [Video] Pretty Little Naturalista Learns That Styling Her Hair Like Mom Takes Practice
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- [Video] Today Show Beauty Expert Turns Natural Hair Debacle Into a Learning Experience
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College