POLL: Is Wash and Wear Hair Fact or Fiction for Naturals?
Take our quick anonymous poll below and get immediate feedback on what other readers think.
Just what is “wash and wear” hair”?
Wash and wear hair can refer to a few things but in its most descriptive and colorful sense, it refers to hair that gets wet and when it dries, it looks completely different, (due to shrinkage, loss of hair definition, etc), than it did before it was wet. It is most often used in its more “colorful” descriptor:
“Girl, I’m not doing the ice bucket challenge. I don’t have that wash and wear hair”!
The phrase “wash and wear hair” can be used in a way that has nothing to do with getting the hair wet and everything to do with time it takes to style their hair as in:
“You want me to be ready when? My hair is not wash and wear so I need at least an hour to get my hair together.”
Basically, it’s the difference between being able to roll out of bed, fluff your hair, or maybe put a little styling product or water on it and walking out the door versus, spending time manipulating your hair via twist or braid outs or some other form of styling assistance to get the style that you want.
Using the phrase “wash and wear hair” is more of a colorful descriptor and should not be confused with the phrase “wash and go“, a popular term in the natural hair world. Wash and go’s are a styling practice where you literally wash your hair, add your styling product of choice and then go on about your business!
I have a confession: Myself and a few of my friends and family use the term – not sure that it is really broadly used! It is a humorous description that always gives me a chuckle though. Maybe others use the term? Leave a comment below and let me know! And be sure to take our quick poll:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.
You May Also Like:
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- NHCN Podcast 0020: Naturals Over 40 – Do We Have A Voice?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- An Historical Perspective on Black Hair In America
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
- Are You Protective Styling Or Defective Styling?
- Porcha and Sami: Natural Haircare News Amazon Gift Card Survey Winners!
- Help a Sista’ Out – Take Our “Naturals Over 40” Survey!
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- How Embracing Natural Hair Boosts Self-Love and Confidence
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?