Live Beauty Expert Debacle Highlights the Importance of Understanding the Nuances of Natural Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair - May 3, 2017
- Black Women and Hair Loss: Heed the Warning Signs - March 17, 2017
- Are Black Women with Natural Hair Being Overcharged at Hair Salons? - February 25, 2017
If you missed the live on national TV hair makeover on the Today Show of a black model with natural hair, you’ll want to check out the video link below.
In a segment on easy summer 60 seconds or less hairstyles, the Today Show’s resident beauty expert, Deepica Mutyala unintentionally butchered a natural model’s hair – and on live television no less!
As much as we like to espouse the “we are all the same” philosophy in the U.S., we are not all alike and that is what makes us unique. We are a country with such rich cultural diversity and this is equally true when it comes to our hair, which spans the spectrum of straight to kinky/coily. Many black people have these different textures all on the same head! Stylists – and particularly stylists with a national platform – need to understand and be able to work with all hair types; especially in a situation where you are promoting a style that is supposed to compliment women with textured hair.
As you’ll see in the video and in the picture above, the model who is beautiful in her own right, looked a lot better before the stylist got her hands in her hair. The goal of the segment was to create “easy, effortless” hairstyles with the mention from the stylist that “it is not that trendy to be that perfect” when it comes to effortless hairstyles. When it came to the model, Malyia McNaughton’s natural hair transformation, the end result was far from trendy or perfect.
To the stylist’s credit, she apologized via social media and vowed to gain a better understanding:
You can see the full video here.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- [Video] Today Show Beauty Expert Turns Natural Hair Debacle Into a Learning Experience
- Don’t Believe The Hype: 6 Untruths About Natural Hair
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Having Locs May Mean Unemployment: Should You Choose Your Hair or Your Job?
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- You Want To Touch My Hair?
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- How Social Media Can Change the Game for Bad Hair Service
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace