Seriously…We Are Still Hating On Gabby Douglas’ Hair in 2016?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Video Sharing: HOW TO GET CURLY HAIR (TUTORIAL) - April 6, 2018
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
I’m pissed that I am actually talking about this topic four years later. People– specifically black people are still hating on Gabby Douglas and her hair.
This reminds me of the people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones adage. I’d like to meet the person on this planet that is perfect. Oh yeah, news flash haters: No one is perfect. Quite frankly, this strange focus on Gabby’s hair has less to do with perfection and more to do with a need from some people to feel better about themselves by spewing venom at others.
We spoke about the unfair criticism of Gabby’s hair in a podcast back in 2012:
How has it become so easy to be so disrespectful towards another human being? When did our appearance become ultimately more important than who we are on the inside or more significant than our accomplishments? What is it that is inside humans that makes it okay to malign and trash people from our imaginary high horses? Don’t we get enough of that from people that hate us just because of the color of our skin to understand how wrong it is to denigrate and vilify our own; or anyone for that matter? Yes, others are vilifying her, but why are black people standing proud and loud behind the anonymity of our laptops to dance in the dirt with them?
WHY SHOULD WE BE FOCUSED ON HER HAIR?!? What we should be doing is praising Gabby for her accomplishments. She is talented and she represents the best that our country as to offer in the sport. And before anyone says ‘it’s because she is representing black people’ blah, blah, blah, she is black but no – she is not representing all black people. It’s like saying that all of the white Olympians are representing white people. Or that Asian Americans are representing Asians. Gabby, along with all of the Olympians regardless of color are representing their country. She just happens to be black.
Think about it. We are quick to get pissed off when haters choose to judge all black people in a negative way, yet we feel free to judge a young woman who has sweated her hair out performing her olympic best in front of the cameras for something that ‘we’ all know happens to our hair?
Please… let’s stop all of the maligning and vilifying of each other and take a moment to praise and be proud of Gabby’s accomplishments.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- NHCN Podcast 002: The Hair Controversy – Gabby Douglas and Oprah Winfrey
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Two Lucky Winners of Our Fall, 2014 Natural Hair Products Survey Will Be Announced Soon!
- Porcha and Sami: Natural Haircare News Amazon Gift Card Survey Winners!
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Overseas Natural Hair Journey: Living Abroad as a Black Woman With Natural Hair
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Coming To Terms With Losing My Natural Hair [Video]
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- Natural Hair “Velcro Cap” Weave – An Alternative to Traditional Weaves?
- Does Having Natural Hair Make it Easier To Participate In Activities That You Avoided When Your Hair Was Straight? [Poll]
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question