Retired Veteran Is Teaching Young Women To Love Their Natural Hair
Latest posts by Veronica Parnell (see all)
- Update on the Wichita Natural Hair Meetup- Engaging Young women in Community Service and Self Love - January 15, 2019
- Natural Hair Club Targeting Young Women Has Their First Meetup - February 16, 2017
- Retired Veteran Is Teaching Young Women To Love Their Natural Hair - January 21, 2017
We were inspired to learn the story of Veronica Parnell, a military veteran and proud “mature” natural who started a club for girls at Wichita Heights High School in Kansas that is teaching girls how to love their natural hair.
Thanks Veronica for sharing your journey and for making a difference in the community with our young women. A special shout out to the beautiful young ladies who are members of the Hair Club!
My name is Veronica Parnell and I am a 26 year retired AF veteran and 5.5 year senior instructor (and proud 13 year natural) for an Air Force JROTC program at Wichita Heights High School in Wichita, KS.
Thank you for highlighting older sistas who have made the decision to wear their hair in its natural God-given state. I will be 50 years old in May. I stopped relaxing my hair in 2004 and it was the best hair decision I could have ever made.
Shortly after becoming the JROTC instructor, I started a Hair Club at my high school where I teach my love for natural hair to the girls in the school. I love sharing my journey with the next generation of young ladies, with hopes of inspiring them at an early age to embrace their beautiful curls. The Hair Club consists of over 40 teenage girls, all eager to learn and experiment with their hair. In the past 5 years I have partnered with local beauty schools (Paul Mitchell ‘the school’, Eric Fisher Academy and Crave Beauty Academy) to ensure I stay current on industry trends and products all while using them to connect the girls with local experts who can provide professional support and services.
Additionally, I will soon speak to a group of active duty military women at McConnell AFB, to inspire them along their journey as well. Soon, I will host a similar event with the women in the community at my first Natural Hair Meetup.
I am super excited to share pictures of me and my girls with you. Thank you for this opportunity.
Veronica Parnell, Capt, USAF (Retired)
Senior Aerospace Science Instructor
Wichita Heights High School
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Update on the Wichita Natural Hair Meetup- Engaging Young women in Community Service and Self Love
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Natural Hair Club Targeting Young Women Has Their First Meetup
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Tennessee’s First Natural Hair School Celebrates Its 100% Pass Rate
- Hair Nah- The Natural Hair Game
- 4 Videos That Show You How to Draw Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question