Black Women and Hair Loss: Heed the Warning Signs
Alopecia, simply defined as baldness, is a condition that many women of color suffer and in many cases can avoid becoming a victim of. The condition can take hold of a perfectly healthy scalp due to illness, use of certain medications such as chemotherapy drugs, overly irritating hairstyles such as tight braids, weaves or ponytails, or even female pattern baldness.
One of the most common reasons for hair loss in black women is more often than not self inflicted because of improper hairstyling techniques. We want our edges to lie flat and need those braids to ‘last’ because we paid good money for the style. Achieving our desired look often requires a level of pulling and tugging that will lead to permanent hair loss if not checked.
Noted dermatologist Dr. Angela Lamb shared in the article, “Here’s What’s Really Happening When Your “Hair Hurts” shares that hairstyles that require positioning your hair in one direction such as an updo or ponytail, or braids that are too tight is the perfect recipe for traction alopecia, a gradual loss of hair in the area of tension.
But one of the first signs of impending damage and potential hair loss might just be soreness caused by nerve ending irritation – a warning sign that you do not want to ignore.
“Here’s What’s Really Happening When Your ‘Hair Hurts’ is a must read for anyone who wants to avoid what might eventually turn into permanent hair loss by understanding some of the warning signs. And be sure to check out Dr. Lamb’s website.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Hair Edges: Why You Are Losing It & How You Can Restore It
- Losing Your Natural Hair? The Remedy Might Be In Your Kitchen!
- 3 Hair Loss Problems Caused By Natural Hair Care Practices
- Having Locs May Mean Unemployment: Should You Choose Your Hair or Your Job?
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp
- Shedding: “I Am Not My Hair”
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place